Supermarket Flowers

25 years. A lot can happen in 25 years, for example Melody was supposed to be 42, Married and maybe some kids if life worked out the way she wanted. In know way did she think that in 25 years she would be a dead 17 year old. And just like that she was back in 1993.

15 year old Melody Harper walked the halls of her new high school alone. It had been a week since she got here and the only people she had managed to talk to that weren't teachers, where Luke, Reggie, and Alex.
Anytime she wasn't around the boys she felt like she wasn't even at school, just going through the motions, get to the next class, take notes, leave , repeat.
That's what was happening now, she was on her way to seventh period, today had been a rough day for her, the anniversary of her mother's death was coming, which meant a lot of episodes. However this day, this day things changed. Melody walked passed an open classroom, she couldn't help but notice the grand piano in the center of the room. Brief memories of her mom listening to her play filled Melody's mind, next thing she knew she was sitting on the piano bench with her hands on the keys.
Taking a shakey breath she began to play.

I took the supermarket flowers from the windowsill
I threw the day old tea from the cup
Packed up the photo album Matthew had made
Memories of a life that's been loved

Though she played guitar Melody's true love was piano, how elegant yet passionate the key can sound drew her in from the start.

Took the get well soon cards and stuffed animals
Poured the old ginger beer down the sink
Dad always told me, "Don't you cry when you're down"
But mum, there's a tear every time that I blink

Melody wrote this song soon after her mother died. Music helped her cope with anything, and soon realized that it helped her feel connected to the world again.

Oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up, but I know
A heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved
So I'll sing Hallelujah
You were an angel in the shape of my mum
When I fell down you'd be there holding me up
Spread your wings as you go
And when God takes you back we'll say Hallelujah
You're home

She sang with her soul, that's what music did for her. In every verse, every note, every chord you could hear what Melody felt. She no longer felt like the world around her was moving on, no. She felt like finally for once the world was focused on her.

Fluffed the pillows, made the beds, stacked the chairs up
Folded your nightgowns neatly in a case
John says he'd drive then put his hand on my cheek
And wiped a tear from the side of my face
I hope that I see the world as you did 'cause I know
A life with love is a life that's been lived
So I'll sing Hallelujah
You were an angel in the shape of my mum
When I fell down you'd be there holding me up
Spread your wings as you go
And when God takes you back we'll say Hallelujah
You're home

Little did Melody know, a group of four boys stood at the door. All of them had glossy eyes from hearing her sing, she truly sounded like a bell, or an angle. They could all feel exactly the way Melody felt.

Hallelujah
You were an angel in the shape of my mum
You got to see the person I have become
Spread your wings and I know
That when God took you back he said Hallelujah
You're home
She finished the song. The southern girl took a shaking breathe, she hadn't played in a while. It was too hard for her to do it during this time. But for some reason, now she felt safe, like the music made every anxious bad thought float away.
" that was ......" Reggie started " wow" all the other boys finished in amazement. Coming out of her thoughts the girl snapped her head to the door eyes wide. " you guys herd ?!" She questioned, " Herd ?! We didn't hear it Mel, we felt it! You poured your soul into that song!" Luke exclaimed, the girl in front of him proved what he knew all along. Music connects people, not only to them selves but to others.
" yeah your like.... crazy talented!" Alex complimented still in shock. Melody smiled " I'm glad y'all think so, I've never shared that song to anyone" she said quietly.
That's when all four boys made eye contact confirming their questions. No words were needed to know they were in agreement. Luke smiled.
" so Melody........ how do you feel about being apart of a band?"
The blonde girl smiled, when she felt Luke's arm squeeze her shoulders and Alex's hand grip hers tighter. She knew she slipped away for a moment and it looks like the guys knew too.
Despite the slow process Melody had calmed down enough to actually engage in the conversation the boys were having with this mystery girl ' don't zone out, you can fight this' she thought to herself, she didn't want miss any more facts.
" what? No no no no no, that's impossible, all we did was go to that weird Dark room where Alex cried and Mel had an episode" Reggie implied " well......" Alex said in a high pitched tone " I don't think...... I think we were all pretty upset, OK" " But that was just like for an hour. We just showed up here" Luke countered " look I'm just telling you what my phone says see? You died in 1995, when you were 17. It's now 2020." the girl stated.
   " so this is the future?" Reggie spoke in bewilderment, " apparently, so time travel is real.... Alex you owe me 20 bucks now" Melody spoke. Ignoring his band mates statement completely " wait, so ...... so, it has been 25 years. I have been crying for 25 years? How is that possible?!" Alex ranted basically screaming.
" your a very emotional person-" Reggie tried but was cut off by Alex " I am not!" He defended " Alex-" Melody was about to reason, but she too was cut off. This time by a new voice, " thought you were afraid to come out here. You talking to your ghost friend? How does he look? Is he hideous?" A small boy probably around 10 said as he walked into the studio.
   " he's talking about you" Melody directed at Luke, who in return gave her a unamused face. The girl sighed " what do you want?" " a normal sister, for starters. Stop being weird and come eat." The boy answered walking back to the house.
" he couldn't see you" the girl said to the four ghost, " usually that's how ghost work" Alex explained. Melody could tell the girl was done with them her face said it all. " look I'm very sorry for what happened to you guys, but this isn't your studio anymore. You have to leave" she said walking out.
" wait... we didn't get your name" Luke called out, the girl turned around " it's Julie" she stated harshly " c-cool I'm Luke by the way. And this is- " Reggie, I'm Reggie" " and Alex how's it going" " howdy, I'm Melody" " ba dah" the group introduced awkwardly.
    "Ok" was all the girl said before leaving, " Julie seems nice" Reggie spoke to his friends Alex turned to face his friend " did you miss the part where she kicked us out?" " this is going to be a long night" Melody said to herself as she went to sit on the couch.

A/N- ahhhhh I'm Alive! How y'all doing. I would like to say that the song is "supermarket Flowers" by Ed sheeran and if you haven't listened to it it's soo good.
Anyways I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter there is more to come!
Comment and vote
Love y'all ✨💕✨