Chapter 11

Lisa's heart was pounding so hard in her chest it was bordering on painful as the ambulance rushed Jennie to the hospital. The paramedics asked her a few questions and she told them what she could, although it didn't feel as though it was her doing the talking. Her voice sounded far away and it felt almost completely disconnected from her. All she could do was stroke at Jennie's hair and desperately tell her how much she loved her as her wife drifted in and out of consciousness. The paramedics attached a ton of wires and monitors to her and began yelling numbers around that meant absolutely nothing to Lisa, all she could focus on were the tears streaming down Jennie's cheeks as she willed her heart not to shatter in her chest at the sight. She desperately wished that she could take Jennie's pain away, and she prayed to any and all gods that might be listening that the baby was alright and wasn't feeling any of the pain that was causing Jennie so much distress.

When they arrived at the hospital, Lisa was forced to let go of Jennie's hand almost immediately, she watched completely helpless from the large double doors with the writing authorized personnel only written on them in an angry shade of red as her wife and unborn daughter were wheeled away from her. She felt hysterical, the rational part of her mind knew that Jennie was in the best place for whatever was going on with her and that Lisa freaking out wouldn't help the situation, but the rational part of her brain had vanished the moment she saw her wife curled up on the bathroom floor clutching her stomach in agony. A friendly looking nurse cautiously approached Lisa and willed her to calm down a little, but Lisa couldn't breathe. She felt as though her chest was about to cave in and she didn't know what to do.

"Hi there, I'm Jihyo, can you hear me? Can you listen to my voice? It's okay if that's all you can do right now. You don't have to do anything else, just listen. Listen to it, focus as hard as you can." the nurse repeated to her over and over until Lisa was able to actually focus on the words that she was saying. "There you are." she smiled sweetly, it was then that Lisa noticed the woman was holding onto her forearms.

"I-.. I'm sorry." Lisa breathed, voice still laced with panic as the nurse let her go. "I don't... I don't know what to do... My wife... She's pregnant... She... Oh god." she got out before breaking down in tears once again.

"Hey, hey, hey." the nurse shook her gently. "It's alright, the doctors will be doing everything that they can. I promise she will get only the best of the best, and I'll tell you anything at all the second I find out. Okay?" the woman promised her, and despite the panic still erupting inside of her, the woman had kind, gentle eyes and Lisa found herself believing what she was being told. "Now, do you have anyone that you can call to come sit with you?" the woman asked.

Jisoo. Lisa should call Jisoo. She needs to know what's happening. Oh god, but then who will be able to pick Ella up from school? She can't just abandon her kid, but she doesn't want to pull her out of class and bring her here either. Lisa decided to let Jisoo and Rosé make the decision about what to do, she knew that she wasn't in the right frame of mind to be able to think rationally, so she took a seat and pulled up Jisoo's contact on her phone.

"Hey what's up? Are you not at work right now?" Jisoo asked as she picked up the phone.

"Jisoo.. I-... It's Jennie." Lisa croaked down the line. "I don't know what happened... She was sick and then I took Ella to school and when I got back she... She was on the floor and now we're at the hospital and I can't do this on my own." she began to cry. "They took her away.. I- I think it's bad."

"Oh god. Oh god. Okay. Alright." Jisoo sounded slightly breathless as she processed what Lisa had told her. "I'm sure that everything will be fine Lisa. I'll be there as soon as I can, do you need anything else?"

"I need one of you to pick Ella up from school later, I don't know how long we'll be here but.. d- don't tell her what's happening, I don't want to worry her." Lisa told Jisoo as she gratefully accepted a bottle of water and a packet of tissues from the friendly looking nurse. "Can you just.. can you take her wherever, you can go to our house or yours or wherever you want. Just make sure someone is there to get her form school."