Chapter 13

Jennie was feeling so many different emotions as the time ticked by in recovery. Lisa hadn't left her side since she had come out of surgery and while she was beyond grateful, she still couldn't quite comprehend what had happened. Less than twelve short hours ago she had a slight stomach ache and was throwing up, and then before she knew it the pain had grown to be so unbearable that she couldn't even stand up. It got a little blurry after that, she remembered Lisa's voice telling her that she loved her, and faintly recalled being rushed into an ambulance, but it got super fuzzy beyond that point. The only constant in her memory is Lisa, her wife had been there through it all, and now they had another beautiful little baby girl. Her heart both soared and ached when Lisa had showed her all of the photos and the videos, her baby girl was beautiful, she looked almost exactly like Ella had, although Ella had been a little on the chunkier side, but she desperately wanted to meet her. She wanted to hold her in her arms and just take it all in, but she knew that she would have to be patient for her the sake of her own health.

"Can I get you anything? Is there anything that you want or need?" Lisa asked as she shuffled around Jennie's room.

They had been in the recovery room for almost two hours already, and Jennie wasn't sure what was supposed to happen next. She didn't know if Lisa would be required to leave her alone when they took her to her post op room, or if her wife could stay by her side for a little while. She took comfort in knowing that Lisa could go be with the baby whenever she wanted, but she also wanted to make sure that Lisa was getting some rest too.

"Have you eaten today?" Jennie asked as she watched her wife rush around the room.

After showing her the photos that she had taken of Evie, Lisa had refused to lay back down on Jennie's bed and cuddle up with her. She had told Jennie that she was too afraid she would hurt her, even if Jennie couldn't feel anything at all from her waist down. It was blissfully numb and she couldn't feel any pain whatsoever, but Lisa still insisted on being cautious.

"I-.. No I don't think so, I made Ella breakfast this morning but I was gonna grab some when I got back." Lisa replied casually, although Jennie knew that she must be starving.

"Well then I have something that you can do for me." she told her wife with a soft smile. "You can go get yourself something to eat."

"Jennie no I want to stay with you-"

"Lisa I'll be right here when you get back." Jennie promised her. "It's not exactly like I can go anywhere. I don't care if you just run to the vending machine and eat a pack of those stupid cheese puff things that you make us buy every time we're at the store, just please go and eat something."

"Okay, but I'll be back in a few minutes." Lisa relented, leaning over very carefully to gently press her lips against Jennie's before leaving the room.

Just as promised, Lisa was only gone for a few minutes and returned from the vending machine with a handful of snacks and a bottle of water. Jennie wasn't sure when she would be able to eat again, but honestly it was the very last thing on her mind. She didn't feel hungry in the slightest, she just wanted to go hold her baby. She wanted to smell her little tiny head and promise her that everything would alright, but for all that she could do was wait and allow her body time to recover.

Lisa was just finishing up her last bag of cheese puffs when one of Jennie's doctors appeared in the room, offering them a friendly smile before she spent a few minutes checking Jennie's vitals and asking her a few questions about how she was feeling. After she was seemingly satisfied with her responses, the doctor informed them that Jennie could be moved out of recovery now and that Lisa could come along with her, but Jennie only had one thing on her mind.