1

Chapter One.

My parents had 5 stillborns until I came along as a miracle making me an only child. I was deeply loved by them in every sense of the word. We aren't rich but Baba always provides for my every need even if it means spending his last penny and having no idea where to get money for the food we will eat the other day. My Ma is gentle and seldom speaks making her a spectator in the house most of the time.

My Baba sells condiments at the market while Ma sells them in small quantity tied in a white polythene for ten and twenty naira at home.I can vividly remember having piggy back rides with my Baba every night after ishaa squealing and cheering him to keep moving around our small living room with me until I get tired and announce that I want to take a breather. He'll drop me down, tickle my sides and say "Fatiti Fatima, Bintu Zahran Baba" patting my head as I laugh in histerics. Ma will then tell me to come and lie beside her. They weren't fortunate enough to further their education but they can read and understand a bit of english which gives them the opportunity to help me with the home work I always bring back from school.

I was not a spoilt child. Baba and Ma taught me to be good, to know the difference between right and wrong and never miss a chance to admonish me whenever I do something untowards or looked for trouble from the neighboring kids. They will always tell me to behave because I am a lady and will one day become a home maker just like my Ma.

We were a close knit family, the type that eats together and are each other's best friend. They know all my friends because I regale them with stories about them everyday after coming back from school. Baba used to take us to our relatives house every Friday for Ziyara saying there's a lot of reward in doing that making me familiar with both paternal and maternal relatives whom are kind and welcoming whenever we visited.

"I want to become a medical doctor when I grow up and then I am going to build a huge mansion for you and Baba" I told Ma once as I was wearing my sandals to go to school early morning. I was in primary 6 at the time and eager to start secondary school thinking all my dreams will come true the moment I step foot in school.

"In shaa Allah you will become whatever it is that you want to become in life and you will surely succeed. I can't wait to be so proud of you Bintus" she always call me that when she is in a good mood.

I learnt how to sweep and wash dishes since when I was seven and she started teaching me how to cook at the age of nine and I enjoyed every bit of the process knowing that one day I will make bomb ass meals just like her and I will make people lick their thumbs with appreciation laden eyes like Baba always does whenever he eats what she cooked.

I was a brilliant student, not at the top of my class but always among the first ten. My teachers always praise me saying they see potential in me and that I'd have been very fluent in English had it been I am attending a private school but nonetheless I am trying more than my classmates because of my love for the language. Since then, I started going to Yusra's house who is a friend of mine from islamiyyah and was born with a silver spoon, they have a lesson teacher that comes over every day and they attend big private schools. I made Baba ask her father that I join them for free since they are a few blocks away from our house and he said yes. That day was one of the happiest days of my life.

Yusrah have four siblings and she is the youngest which makes her the weak one among them. They are big bullies whom she is afraid of. I eventually got fed up seeing that her mother isn't doing anything about it even if they burst her lips or leave a welt on her face as a result of a hot slap. So one fateful afternoon, I shouted at all of them saying " How can you be so cruel? Isn't she your sister ? How can you be bullying her around like you share no blood with her? You are supposed to be defending her from bullies outside but no! You are doing the exact same thing. Shame on you" I fumed, packed my books and never return to the house again. I simply hate injustice.

Baba tried hard to make me go back seeing that I've learnt a lot in the few months that I've been going to Yusra's house but I stood my ground and he eventually gave up. Yusrah too begged me to come back, saying that they no longer bully her like before but I told her that I can't simply face her family after what I did. She eventually gave up but we remain friends and she teaches me when we're free.

I am not comfortable with strangers that is why I hardly speak in public but the moment I set foot at home or when I am with friends the story differs because I am the type of person that will rant your ears off till you become bored instead of entertained. 

Ma never jokes with Salah, the moment the adhan is called she will tell me to stop whatever I am doing and make wudu then proceed to pray in the living room which is also where I sleep at night with a small mattress and a flimsy blanket to keep me warm in cold season. Baba will always tell me to be patient and content with what Allah blessed us with, that Allah never burdens a soul with more than it can bear, that every test is a blessing and for every hardship there's ease. I used to be baffled at how he spends hours telling me about life, giving me more wisdom than my ten year old mind can comprehend and making me promise him that I will stay strong, I will make him proud and never waiver in my belief that Allah is with those whom are patient and prayerful not knowing that I will be tested in many ways, not knowing that there's a storm coming my way, that I  am going to lose everything I once hold dear, that I will one day wake up and look at every angle with no one to turn to or call my own but Allah.

_________________________________________

Whew!!! That's that for the 1st chapter. Any guesses? Thoughts? Critique?? Can't wait to embark on this journey with you guys and am sure you know that you need a hanky to wipe off your tears😁

Thank you for stopping by to read Untold Woes and I hope you're going to follow this story until the very last chapter.

Love&light ❤️

Humylash😊