10

CHAPTER TEN 

LIFE goes on as my business keeps expanding along with Zulai's envy because she couldn't even hide it anymore. She keeps invoking Allah's wrath upon me and everything I set my hands on. If she has a way she would've set the house ablaze but I'm sure she is holding herself back because I feed her and give her the change to go about her daily activities.

"Binta! Keh Binta!!" She shouted, calling out to me even though am a few metres away from her, she can just make a hand gesture for me to come without opening her mouth.

"Na'am" I answered, dropping the container I was holding.

"Go and get my laundry, make sure you finish before I come back " she ordered, turned and left the house giving me no room to protest even though I have no intention of doing that. She has been looking for a fight, taunting me and making me do things I don't normally do, waiting for me to explode so that she will have a reason to send me packing or stop me from going to school or doing my business but I promised to keep my cool. I didn't die when I had nothing and she was torturing me and I won't die now that I have a lot of things to call my own which I earned in a halal way.

I brought out the laundry, soaked them first before I finished packaging the hibiscus drink I was making before she interrupted. I started washing, humming some Quranic verses under my breath with a smile on my face like the world is a beautiful place and I have no fears, no scars or things to worry about. There was a knock at the door and I asked the person outside to come inside thinking it is a customer but to my surprise it was Ama. I abruptly stood up to welcome her with a warm smile. She smiled back as I spread a mat and praying mat for her to sit on.

"Marhaba lale. I guess you missed your way that's why you're here" I teased as I went inside my room to bring something for her to nibble on.

"Hmmmm, I intentionally come here myself since you didn't keep your promise. I have been waiting for you for weeks but there's no sign of you and I don't have your contact that's why I begged Maama to allow me come see you" she explained fidgeting with her hands.

"I'm so sorry Ama, wallah I've been busy with school and everything that's why I didn't get the chance to visit again and I thought you've gone back to school" I explained even though it was a lie. I pass by her house almost everyday but I am too scared to enter.

She accepted my apology and we started talking about our diverse interests in life, she told me about her school and friends, her favorite subjects and dreams as I wash. She also complimented my Hibiscus saying it's the best she had in a while and that she will tell Maama to patronise me. She even suggested that I start selling them in bottles and maybe take orders for events like weddings, naming ceremonies and what not.

I told her that I don't know where to source customers that will buy in bulk and she told me not to worry. She helped me to rinse out the clothes despite my protests before dropping the bomb on me.

"I actually come here to bid you farewell. I am going to run from home Fatima. I've made up my mind and there's nothing you can do or say to change my mind"

"Where are you running to?" I found myself asking.

"I don't know yet and it doesn't matter. I am just tired of the dirty life I am living and I'd rather live on the streets than continue living under the same roof with that monster. Allah will protect Maama and Muhammad. I just pray he will not be initiated into what Baba is doing" she explained.

"But why don't you try convincing Maama to follow you? Maybe you can run to one of her relatives house that's far away from here in another town? Don't you think you're being selfish to run away and leave them alone with him after knowing what he is capable of doing? What if he use some sort of magic to trace you and then bring you back to torture you over and over again or torture your mother in your stead?" I tried to reason with her. She kept mum for a while before nodding her head.

"You're right Fatima and indeed a blessing. An idea just popped into my head. Thank you for everything. I will never forget your kindness and love. If it's meant to be we will meet again if not then this is goodbye. May Allah bless your life, keep you happy, protect you from all harm and guide your ways from now till eternity" she gave me a long hug and ran out before I could even utter a word. I wiped a stray tear praying that everything is going to be all right for them. It might be the beginning of a new beautiful beginning for Ama, Muhammad and Maama in shaa Allah.

I haven't seen nor heard from anyone in that house for over two months until one fateful night when a loud bang woke us up from sleep. Zulai started lamenting and crying that it's arm robbers and blaming me saying she has nothing and everyone in our area knows that so it's my fault that they are in our house. The banging continues but no attempt to break the door was made. Zulai tamped down her fear and asked who was at the door.

"It's none of your business. Just bring out that stupid girl Fatima or else it won't end  well for you and your entire generation" I instantly recognized Ama's father's voice and I almost peed my pants. What does he want? What happened? Before I could comprehend what was going on Zulai unlatched the lock and pushed me outside like she couldn't wait to get rid of me. I wasn't even wearing shoes and I am in my pyjamas.

Alhaji gave me two hot slaps as preamble before he started kicking me everywhere " Tell me where they are hiding or else I'll kill you and sacrifice you to my dogs" he hollered and his voice revibrated the dead silence of the night. He kept kicking me and asking the same question, threatening to take my life, to make my life miserable and what not. I didn't know how long it took before I lost my conciousness yet again because of the evil man I have no connection with apart from the fact that I worked in his house as a maid and I caught him red handed doing an ungodly act. I succumbed to the darkness thinking this is finally it, I am going to meet my parents and I don't have to worry about nothing no more. If only I knew that this is just the beginning, that my life will take another turn, that things will only get worse and I'll be fighting for my life every single day.

Alhaji took my unconscious limp body to his car, dumped me in his boots and drove out of town thinking I am dead. He travelled for hours before finally throwing my lifeless body in a gutter.

________________________________

This is the end of part one of this book. Let's dive into part two in the next chapter and see what's going to happen to our poor Fatima Bintu. Is she going to survive or give in to pressure? Will she ever forgive Zulai for what she did? Will she ever look back ?

What are your thoughts so far ? Should I continue or dump the book cuz it's making no sense? Let's converse in the comment section please.

Thank you for reading💗