7

CHAPTER SEVEN

When Uncle got to know about my new job he surprisingly didn't throw a fit. He advised and prayed for me and that was it about the matter. I work hard in school, at home and at Maama's house with the help of Inna Talatu who is a great mentor and has become a mother figure in my life. I hardly see Ama and Muhammad because they are always busy with school and the extra lesson they receive after they come home.

I started joining them for lessons when Maama caught me longingly looking at her children from the window. She said am free to join them as far as I don't have a pending work and that made me so happy. The teacher is a nice woman who tries her best to see that I catch up with Ama because of the difference in our educational background. I put in more effort praying that Allah will see me through and make my dreams come true.

It was finally time for Inna Talatu to leave and I was sad knowing that I'll miss her maternal care. She promised to visit often and that she will be calling me with Maama's line pending the time I'll get my own phone.

"Don't forget all the things I told you. Avoid Maama's husband at all cost. Don't ever let him set eyes on you. The moment you see his car in this part or hear his voice hide away. Create excuses that will make you unavailable in case Maama summons you in his presence" she warned with a seriousness I've never seen in her face. I was curious to ask why but decided to keep my mouth shut knowing that she must have a very good reason to warn me against a man I have never set eyes on. It was a tearful goodbye between her and the kids because she was their nanny right from their infanthood so they will definitely miss her. Maama gave her a wad of naira notes and a gift bag filled with goodies, saying that in shaa Allah they will visit her when the kids are on break. She thanked her and I escorted her out to get a tricycle that will take her to the park where she will get a bus headed to her village.

I usually report early on weekends because of Islamiyyah and Tahfeez classes that I attend. I go there as early as 6:30am to sweep, mop and sort out laundry before leaving for school by 8am. Then I'll come back after 4pm to wash the dishes and do whatever it is that Maama instructed me to do.

Weeks after Inna Talatu left, Maama's husband came back home and I made sure to dodge him to the best of my ability. I was thankful that he's always upstairs and hardly comes down and the fact that Maama doesn't allow me to go up right from the on set. I once heard his voice which sounds eerie and dangerous it made my heart skipped. I also noticed that Ama is scared of him and hides away in her room whenever he's home. She helps me with my english assignment while I return the favor by teaching her maths.

After receiving the first two pay checks, Zulai finally stopped torturing me, she started becoming nice and hardly ask me to do anything claiming that am always tired and working. I didn't let her know that Maama use to give me my own share of the money too and I'm saving it with her. I wanted to buy a new pair of uniform but don't know how to go about it so I asked for Fiddausi's advise even though we hardly meet like we used to and I still don't like her attitude towards life.

"My uniform is tattered and old. I want to sew a new pair but I'm scared to ask aunty Zulai" I said.

" Why don't you ask your rich madam to do that for you. I'm sure she has a lot of money and she won't mind" she replied taking huge bite of sugar cane.

"It will be rude to ask Maama. After all she is not responsible for me and she pays me"  I reasoned shaking my head.

"You know too well that Zulai will not give you a single penny from that money, she will insult you from head to toe and stop being nice to you because I overheard her telling my mother that she's only nice because of the money and she will soon stop selling akara since your salary is good. She will live off your hard earned money " she rambled while I listened, unable to say anything.

"You're too holy, if not I'd have given you a good advice" she whispered as if she's scared someone might hear her.

"Tell me" I urged her, even though I know she's up to no good.

"Just start stealing it from her or remove a certain amount whenever your Hajiya gives you the money, fabricate a lie and tell her that your salary has been reduced or something" she winked, as if she has done well.

I smiled and got up to leave, knowing that she will never understand me and likewise. I don't even want to utter a word in case she says something to her mom and it'll get back to Zulai's ears. I decided to ask Zulai whenever she's in a good mood and try my luck or wait for uncle to return since he's responsible for me or better yet I'll buy it with my own money and lie that it's Maama that bought it for me.

The opportunity presented itself one fateful afternoon after I came back from school. I met her sitting in the verandah listening to her favorite radio program and she answered my greetings with a wide smile. I crutched down beside her with a fast beating heart, saying all sorts of Du'a that comes to mind.

"Aunty please I need a new pair of uniform. I've outgrown this and it has torn" I said coolly, anticipating a hot slap or strings of insults.

"That's a good idea Fatiti, I noticed that too. I'll get it for you soon " she replied with a neutral tone that made it hard for me to gauge how she actually feel. I thanked her and went into my room to get ready for Maama's house.

When I arrived at Maama's house, it was too quite and something feels off. Thinking they might be having siesta or they are upstairs I went straight to the kitchen to wash the dishes. I started hearing some muffled noises coming from Ama's room but brushed it off as TV sounds or a sibling's fight since she and Muhammad used to play a lot.  The noise persisted for almost ten minutes and I decided to go and check up on her in case something wrong is going on.

"Assalamualaikum" I said and pushed the door only to be met with a grotesque scene that will remain indelible in my head forever. A scary looking man is molesting Ama and chanting something in a strange language. She has been tied to the bedpost and her mouth has been gagged with a handkerchief. I let out a shrill sound before losing consciousnesses.

____________________________________

You guys don't comment, you don't even vote where then do I get the motivation to write? How will I know that am writing something read worthy? I take God beg una please show some love, make me know that I'm not writing to myself, that actual humans not ghosts read this book and are enjoying it biko!

Thank you for reading.