8

CHAPTER EIGHT

I woke up on the kitchen cold floor with a killer headache and it seemed like what I witnessed was a bad dream and nothing more. Maama was standing beside me with a cup of what I assumed to be water that she sprinkled on me.

"Be careful Binta, you almost gave me a heart attack, stop pouring water on the tiled floor you're bound to have accidents like this" she chastised looking worried.

I was too dumbfounded to say anything so I just nodded and got up clutching my head that's throbbing. She asked me to lie down and rest, gave me some pain killers not knowing that I want to flee her house and never come back. So many thoughts were whirling in my head,I wanted to believe that I had actually fallen and had that bad dream but it was too vivid to be just a dream and I've always been careful, I've never spilled water on the kitchen floor. I whispered some dua's, made ablution and offered my salah. I finally made up my mind to speak with Ama, ask her if what I saw is true and who the scary looking man is. With that thought in mind, I drifted off to a deep slumber only to be woken up by the adhaan for subh Salah.

"Yahsalam" I muttered. I have never spent the night at Maama's and I don't know how Zulai will take it. I didn't even know how I slept that long without saying Ishaa salah. I quickly dashed to the bathroom and made an ablution to offer my salah after which I waited for a while before walking back home. Zulai was still sleeping when I arrived.

I dressed for school still thinking about the other day. I couldn't comprehend anything in class throughout the day and I came back with yet another headache and a raging fever. Zulai informed me that Maama sent the guard to tell her that I'll be sleeping over because I was sick, she asked after my health and told me to get some rest and that she will send Fiddausi to work in my stead pending the time I get well. I thanked her and took a hot shower after which I lay in my mattress succumbing to the pain and darkness.

From that day onwards, I became very sick, there were days when I couldn't move a limb or recognize those around me. Zulai started saying that it might be Jinns or witchcraft because we've taken so many tests but the results didn't show anything. Maama visited more than twice with Muhammad saying that Ama is busy but sends her regards. I wanted to see her but have no choice than to wait until I get better.

Uncle came back with some local herbs claiming that he was told they work magic and will cure me from any ailment that's bothering me be it scientific or otherwise. I don't want to believe in superstition but then I have no option, they have been trying for almost two months even though I am an orphan and they can choose to let me die without helping me. There are days that I couldn't even pray because I will totally blank out until the next day and I won't remember to pay back the missed salahs.

Time kept moving and I continue to suffer for months on end. Fiddausi seldom visits because she's busy with school and filling in for me even though the salary goes to her and her mother which caused a rift between Aunty Zulai and her. Maama eventually stopped visiting or sending her gate man to bring something for me and I didn't mind at all because I know that am not anyone's burden to bear, I am tired of being sick also. Zulai changed back to her former habits and I was left sick, frustrated and hungry most days. Uncle is always not home making me lonely and dejected.

I had a very bad dream one fateful night recollecting everything that I saw at Maama's house but this time around it was happening to me not Ama. I woke up with a start drenched in sweat muttering any duaa that comes to mind. I had a panic attack that almost took my life because Zulai didn't come to check on me and it was late at night she might not even hear me from her room. I managed to make ablution and offered some units of prayer, crying out my heart to Allah, telling Him my fears, asking Him to come to my aid, to grant me shifaa and forgive my deceased parents. I cried in my sujood calling out to Him and it was the first time since the beginning of my illness that I feel calm and at ease, I feel like I can face everything, every challenge and hurdle that comes my way because now I know that I have no one but Allah and only Him will help me pass my tests. My parent's words kept resonating in my ears and the mere thought of them blanketed me with love.

I started waking up very early to offer salahs at night and I started reciting the surahs I know everyday which served as a cure for my unknown ailment. Within weeks I got back to school and started even though my mates are now in Jss 3 I had to be demoted but our principal said I can catch up with them which made me so happy. I didn't know what happened to Fiddausi but she looks scared and subdued, she doesn't blabber as she used to and is always on edge as if she's waiting for a slightest chance to run. I didn't ask her what's wrong because I am still mad at her for abandoning me when I was sick.

Zulai was glad am hale and hearty which means she'll unload all the household chores on me which I didn't mind. I wanted to visit Maama but am scared of the house and what I might find there so I didn't.

Life goes on and I focused my attention on my studies, I started selling condiments just like my late mother and Alhamdulillah Allah has blessed the business making me financially independent and Zulai off my back because I don't ask for anything from her even if it's food. If she keeps my share or ask me to fetch from the pot after I finished cooking fine, if she didn't I never minded I'll just buy something and eat which annoys her but she has no choice than to keep mum.

Within a short while I graduated from Junior Secondary school and Uncle sent me to science and technical college nearby to pursue my senior secondary school. I was so happy and eager to start because it seems like my dream of becoming a medical doctor will soon come true. I had a fall out with Fiddausi and we are no longer on speaking terms. I hardly see nor hear from her and I didn't have any other friend which is also fine with me. I learnt how to knit, plait hair and Henna design during our Jssce break which adds to the list of my business and I also get a lot of customers being that there aren't much people in our area that are doing that kind of business. Zulai will taunt me with harsh words saying I'll never make it in life no matter how hard I try, that I will forever be an orphan who has no one and is a nobody. I will cry and leave everything to Allah knowing that He knows, He hears and He answers.

I memorized the Quran that same year which was the highlight of my entire life. I couldn't contain my excitement and I kept telling everyone who cares to listen that I've memorized the Holy book which also adds to the list of the things Zulai is envious of.

____________________________________

Barka da Juma'ah... Don't forget to recite surah Kahf and send lots of salawat to the Prophet Muhammad (SAW).

Jazakumullah khairan 🥰