3

Chapter Three

What actually happened that day is still not clear to me, all I know is that I was called to the principal's office to meet our neighbor in tears, she said something about a fire outbreak and my parents getting burnt to death.  I have never felt so alone and helpless in my entire life like that very moment and there are countless times where I am alone and helpless but that particular moment remains the worst for me. I went home to the debris that was once our home filled with love and contentment. I wasn't allowed to see the corpses because it was a grotesque sight to see and that was how the life of the two most important people in my life ended leaving me  helpless, confused and alone in this big scary world.

My paternal uncle took me to his house and his wife welcomed me with opened arms being that she has no child she was happy to have me around (that was what my naive mind told me at first). I couldn't eat neither speak for days. I was still processing the death of my parents like it was a nightmare I'll soon wake up from. I do pray the daily salahs and I pray for them in Sujood even though I was still hoping that I will soon wake up and everything will go back to normal as it was before.

My Uncle's name is Hashim and his wife is Zulai.  He never asked how am faring after the death of my parents, what my plans are for the future or when am going back to school because it has been two months after their demise and am still not over the shock that they are no more. Zulai will wake me up as early as 4am to sweep the compound and wash the beans she makes kosai with everyday. She never acknowledge my hard work neither give me enough food to survive the day. Am just a maid to her and nothing more.

"Keh Binta kike koh wa? Come here !" She bellowed from the zinc kitchen outside. I hurriedly tied my scarf because I was loosing my hair which is dirty and unkempt. Before I could gauge her mood or ask for the reason why I've been summoned, a hot deafening slap landed on my cheeks.

"I never thought your so called loving parents didn't train you well. Where is my fifty naira? I cannot stay under the same roof with a thief o! I can condone anything but I won't tolerate an ingrate, a nobody like you stealing my hard earned money" I was too stunned to form words that will defend myself from her accusation. I didn't even know where she keeps her money, I've never set foot into her room even if I want to I wasn't allowed to enter she always ask me to wait outside how then can I steal her money and that too as meager as fifty naira.

"Aunty wallahi I didn't steal your money, please check well maybe you misplaced it somewhere" I finally squeaked out feeling a certain pain pierce my heart.

"You're lying! I've never misplaced anything in this house until you came along. This isn't the first time I'm missing my money. I'm just fed up with your attitude and you're leaving this house right this instance" She deadpanned fuming with anger as if steam will come out of her ears. She gave me the beating I've never received in my life, threw out her dirty laundry for me to wash and the moment my uncle comes into the house she narrated everything to him dramatically with fake tears saying I admitted to committing the crime and told her that I won't give back the money .

"Keh Fatima" my uncle called out, his voice sounded normal like he isn't angry. I answered then walked slowly to where he was sitting because my whole body aches from the beating I received and the laundry I was doing.

"What happened?" He asked and I narrated everything to him omitting the slap and the beating with tears in my eyes.

"Did you know that none of our relatives want to take you in because you're a burden no one wants to take coupled with the fact that your parents left nothing for you?" He asked and I nodded in the negative feeling like my heart will burst out of my chest.

"I was the only one kind enough to take you in because I pitied you and your father was good to me in times of need even though he doesn't have much either, but I will not tolerate any kind of bad habit from you especially theft. I don't want to hear anything untoward about you else I'll send you out of this house " he continued cooly picking his teeth with a stick.

"I'm sorry uncle but wallahi I didn't take her money I swear"

He fished out the fifty naira note from his front pocket and handed it to me " take this to her and apologise" he said with a finality in his tone. I wanted to protest, to tell him that giving her the money is as if I've admitted that I was the one who stole it, I never wanted to be branded a thief but then he has made himself clear that I am a worthless and unwanted orphan who will end up in the streets if he sends me out. It is better to have a roof over my head than to be homeless.

Zulai smiled wickedly when I hand over the money to her and murmured something under her breath.

I knew then that I have to be very careful with her and that I have no one but Allah to help me and guide my affairs.

________________________________

Assalamualaikum beautiful people! Hope this chapter finds you in good health and the best of Iman? Am sorry for the slow and short updates but we have to manage and make do with it. I lack the motivation and zeal to write and I've been super busy and sick most of the time. Thank you for reading and God bless. See you when next you receive an update notification which will be soon In shaa Allah.