20. recovery

a/n:

chapter photo from Pinterest.com

!!season 2 spoilers!!

tw: needles, drug addiction

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Ms. Y/L/N?" You hear someone say outside your door of your hospital room. You tell them they can come in, and they enter soon after. It's your doctor.

"I wanted to talk to you about something. About your bloodwork." He sighs, pulling his chair up next to you bed. You inhale deeply, too aware of the words that are going to spill from his mouth.

"What is it?" You innocently say, despite already knowing.

"Your bloodwork shows concerning levels of dilaudid in your system. Is there a reasoning behind this?" He asks, while pushing his glasses up and slouching on the chair a bit. You can tell he is judging you, causing you to almost scoff.

"That would make sense." You state back, your bitter tone evident.

"How long have you been using?" He says nonchalantly back.

"Since I was kidnapped. I was drugged against my will." You say feebly back, ashamed of it but you know there was nothing else you could've done. "I'm surprised that's not what you immediately thought, since I'm here because of what happened." This time you snap a bit at him.

"Oh," He says, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to assume you were using voluntarily-" He tries to defend himself, but you interrupt him.

"I understand your concern, Doctor...?"

"Zach Stephen." He finishes.

"Doctor Stephen. What can I do to detox?" You ask.

He begins to list off ways to ween off the drugs, and helpful ways to distract yourself from the withdrawals you'll eventually find yourself experiencing. But as he talks, your mind races, thinking about Spencer and how he is doing.

"...and you can take-" He tries to say before you speak up.

"Do you know where Spencer Reid is?" The doctor purses his lips, indicating he is slightly annoyed that you interrupted him. But he answers your question anyway.

"Usually I'm not allowed to share a patients personal information with another, but I'm aware of your professional relationship and his mother isn't here to receive this information, so, he is in the ICU. He has extensive head trauma, but he'll be fine. He currently is in a temporary coma, but he'll wake up either tomorrow or the next day." He explains to you.

"Can I see him?" You ask, practically begging. The doctor sighs, and removes his glasses. He points at you with them and says, "Only for a few minutes."

"A few minutes. I can work with that. Thank you."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Machines beep all around Spencer. There isn't a moment of silence where he lay, every second taken up by the sounds of the machines. You listen to the machine that monitors his heartbeat, your breath stilling every time it doesn't go off. Dr. Stephen rolls you up next to his bed, and leaves quickly to give you some privacy with Spencer. You look at him with deep sadness.