Chapter 8

Book trailer would be released soon. . .but in the meantime — enjoy reading devil in red and thanks for reading too.

Early that morning, Harley Griffin cautiously approached Hawk's room, hands squeezed together and nails digging into her palms in nervousness.

It wasn't anyhow odd that Hawk was unusually overworking himself that chilly morning, but it also was and Harley knew it. Hawk felt that he needed it. To let out that early morning anger that had been gathered in his icy cold vampire heart ever since the moment Mary had uttered those words to him. The words felt like dagger, digging straight into his steel-like skin and breaking off any form of sanity. Therefore, he let out the anger by doing some brutally murderous excercise that could have wrecked any human man even before he got half way. 

His lower lip sucked in between his teeth so hard that he could taste metallic, icy blood Max Hawkley continued to lift himself off the floor in extremely fast push-ups that counted over 20 push-ups in five seconds with his vampire speed. His breath was raspy and sweat dripped down his body, slippery and icy — forming a pool down on the marble tiles beneath his body. Even though loud music filled the room and flooded his head, his heartbeat was hundreds of times louder. That throbbing sound of a painfully beating heart and it soothed him to listen to what she made him feel once again. Every strand of his naturally deep brown hair was wet, silky and sticking to his forehead in cold, tousled threads.

Max was mad, and any vampire or human at a very wide range from him could feel that he was trying all he could to control his temper — including Harley as she slowly prodded his door open and step inside, gently, not wanting to make him mad than he already was.

"Max," she started.

"What do you want?" Max asked, without even looking up, his voice in a loud animalistic growl and strings of uncontrollable rasps.

Harley decided to thread the path carefully. "We need to talk," she told him, walking further into the room while trying to block out the loud noise going off in her head. Hawk's heartbeat. The loud music. The trepidation filling the room.

Everything felt nauseating.

"Don't feel like it," Hawk growled, seeming irritated.

Harley sped past Hawk and in the direction the loud, irritating music came from and even before she could lay her hands on the stereo, she felt a strong grip on her left shoulder, jerking her away and in the direction of the door. Almost loosing her stand and landing into the wall opposite the room, Harley held herself and glared up at the oppressor, feeling slightly hurt.

"What is wrong with you?!" She growled, hands folded and brows puckered hard — standing akimbo. Her thin, pale lips were smashed together in slight resentment and her white, naturally very fair skin had a shade of red to it, tinting her cheeks.

Hawkley was just few feets from her, glaring with just the same intensity as Harley was — only his gaze was more burning than hers and volcanic hot. His big, sweaty, muscular arms were folded on his naked chest and sweat dripped from his skin like melting chocolate under a hot sun. His heart beats were wild and ferocious, intense and extremely loud to both vampires at that moment. It was only a matter of time before his body regulated itself again. . .but then, he was still mad. His gaze matched Harley's for a minute, two — like they were both involved in a staring contest — while what he really was doing was trying to find the adequate answer to the question she'd asked him.

What was wrong with him?

What is wrong with me?

He felt pain in his chest. Raw pain. And that moment, he realized it wasn't just because of the words Mary had said to him, but something else. He was pained. Hurt and he knew Harley felt it. She was the only one that had always been there for him for ages even though their mother was still alive, on the other side of the world living life in Egypt. The pain Hawk felt at that moment was more than he could comprehend. He felt like screaming. Tearing the whole mansion down. Causing harm on himself, but he wasn't willing to do any of that.