Chapter Sixteen: Ward of the King

"Then what happened to the Orcs?" - Thranduil

20th August/Urui T.A 3010, The Woodland Realm, Mirkwood

Calenamath gestured for Legolas to lower his guard, noticing that the wounded ranger was more frightened than aggressive. "Mae Govannen Mellon nin. It appears that you require some aid," he said, observing the trembling blade still pointed in his direction.

"Leave me alone," whispered a thin feminine voice. Calenamath and Legolas exchanged looks. There had been no female Rangers since Arathorn's time and this one sounded very young. Unless this young woman was not a ranger.

"Summon a healer," he whispered to Legolas, who immediately dashed off. The ranger groaned and slid further down the tree, revealing traces of blood on the bark. "That wound must be painful. Will you not let me help you?"

"The Orcs said it was poisoned."

"I can help. If you will let me. I mean you no harm."

The ranger retracted her arm and slowly released her grip from the blade. Calenamath moved it aside. He gently lifted the hood and saw a young maiden barely out of girlhood with a pair of silver eyes. Her short, roughly cut, raven hair framed her gaunt, bruised face. Lord Elrond's missing daughter.

"Lady Anberenien, I presume. Did the Eagle leave you here?"

The girl nodded. "Meneldor said help would find me, instead it was the Orcs."

Calenamath glanced back at the dead Orcs. "My apologies for our lateness, my Lady."

Calenamath carefully lifted Anberenien's cloak and examined the wound as gently as he could. The arrow had gone straight through, which meant she would bleed heavily unless it was carefully removed. Anberenien did not cry out, but he could tell she was in a lot of pain. They were three days' ride away from the Elven halls. Legolas returned with a healer from the river village.

She examined Anberenien, gave her an antidote potion and another to ease her pain. "She is very weak, hir cóon nin. But we cannot wait to remove the arrow." The Elves made a stretcher and carried Anberenien to the river village. She barely made a sound as they walked through the forest, and Calenamath feared she was fading. But something about her eyes reminded him of his youth in Doriath. And at once, he understood what had happened to the Orcs.

-----------------------------------------------

27th -30th August/Urui T.A 3010, The Elven Halls, The Woodland Realm

When Anberenien stirred, she found that she was lying in a large comfortable bed covered in a fine red coverlet, blankets and sheets. The frame above hung with heavy drapes matching the coverlet. Her aching shoulder brought back memories of the arrow and the wood Elves who had come to her aid.

She turned her head towards her shoulder and saw bandages peeking out from under the clean white linen shift she was wearing. A smiling Elven Lady with long silver-blonde hair and a silken gown of pale green sat on an elegant chair by her bedside."Mae govannen, híril nin! You are back with us at last. Quite the talk of the halls you are."

Anberenien tried to prop herself up but felt dizzy and the pain in her shoulder prevented her from doing so. "Allow me," said the Elven lady. She plumped up some pillows and helped Anberenien into a sitting position. "You must take things slow, híril nín, it will be a few days yet before you will be well enough to leave your bed."

"Where am I? Who are you?" Anberenien whispered.

", Celephinniel, híril i eneth nín, as to where you are? You need not fear, híril nín, you are in the Royal Palace of the Elven Halls."