Chapter Thirty One: Judgement and Redemption

"Keep safe, Hiril Nin. Darkness is coming to this place. The Brotherhood is just the beginning." - Golviel

29th March/Gwaeron, 3017, The Elven Halls and Woodland Realm.

Thorwen rose wearily from her bed. Despite the previous day's events, she had hardly slept a wink. As her eyes grew accustomed to waking, the pale blonde, willowy shape of Faelnith stood smiling with Thorwen's bedrobe in her arms. "Mae Govannen, Thorwen Hiril nin," she chimed. A physical reminder that Eressil was gone.

Faelnith and her sister Merenthel were Celephinniel's maiden daughters. Now that Thorwen was the king's betrothed, their duties were to serve and to be her companions. Celephinniel had also assigned two other minor servants to her, called Fenil and Gelben. They were the daughters of high-ranking Silvan Elves who had remained loyal to the king. But there had been little time to meet them properly after recent events.

Thorwen had no stomach for breakfast, deciding instead to prepare for Rodon's burial. Faelnith and Merenthel accompanied her as she made her way to the Great Doors. Celephinniel joined them along the way, the rustle of their black silk robes the only sound as they traversed the walkways. Upon reaching the Doors, Thranduil, Legolas, Aragorn and Gandalf were waiting, flanked by the Huscarls. Calenamath had a more unpleasant duty to attend to.

The burial ground was in a secluded grove on the forest's eastern border. There were no grave markers, just a circle of large green mounds. They were the mass graves of Elven Warriors who had been slain in the battle of Five Armies. Their grieving families were left with two choices. Remain in the Woodland realm, forever parted from their loved ones. Or to make the journey west, to Mithlond and take a ship to Valinor where their family members would be returned to them, re-housed in new bodies.

But the journey west was one way. The only Elf who had ever returned to Middle Earth was Glorfindel. Thranduil had granted Rodon a place among the mounds of the slain and seven days of mourning. A fitting honour for all he had done in his brief life. Rodon's flower-drenched body lay on a stretcher as the Wood Elves prepared a green grave to receive him. When the grave was ready, Aragorn stepped forward to say a few words. "Rodon, you shall be greatly missed. Halbarad and your comrades shall mourn your passing most bitterly. A Ranger's life is fraught with danger. That is why we leave without saying goodbye. Unless we believe we may not return."

Thorwen led the company in a lament as the Elves gently lay Rodon in his grave. It was the same song Gilraen had sung at the funeral of her family all those years ago. But she remembered every word. A single tear fell down her cheek and onto Rodon's body as she placed her last remaining flower. As the company walked away from the graveside, Thorwen saw a figure shrouded in a dark green cloak weeping by a solitary newly dug grave. Curious, she approached and was surprised to find the mourner was no other than Golviel.

"I know what she did was wrong, but she was Mellon nin since our Elfing days. I am leaving, Hiril nin. With the Chieftain of the Rangers, across the mountains to Rivendell and beyond. I do not know how long it will take me, but I want to be there for Eressil when she is rehoused and let her know I forgive her."

"Tell her I forgive her too," replied Thorwen. Golviel nodded and handed Thorwen the last flower she had in her hand. Thorwen smiled and laid the flower on the grave. "Lothron cin rad- sídh Mandos Eressil," she whispered.

"Thorwen!" Thranduil's anxious voice caught her attention. She knew she had tarryed too long.

As Thorwen turned to join him, Golviel caught her arm. Her tear-stained eyes, fearful."Keep safe, Hiril Nin. Darkness is coming to this place. The Brotherhood is just the beginning."