Chapter Nine: The Elven Halls

Author's note: Please note the Wizards are using their Middle Earth and Valinor names during their conversation many characters in the Tolkien Universe have more than one name depending on who they are conversing with. i.e. Saruman/Curumo, Gandalf/Olorin

"But how well you answer my questions will determine what kind of cell you will spend the rest of your life in." - King Thranduil

21st August/Urui T.A 3004 The Elven Halls

The Great doors of the Elven Halls closed behind them with an ominous clang. Aragorn glanced nervously at Gandalf. The old wizard smiled reassuringly. "You are not concerned, are you?"

"I am no stranger to Mirkwood, but I have always conducted my business in the forest." Aragorn had never had the need to visit the Elven Halls before. And even though the Elven king welcomed them with honour, Aragorn was more than a little nervous.

The guards escorted them down a long large tunnel lit with red torches. The walls of the tunnels were carved with woodland scenes as if the forest above was being duplicated below. Every so often, passageways lead from the main tunnel off into other caverns in the Halls. The main tunnel opened out into a magnificent chamber. There were huge pillars of living stone that looked more like the great beeches along the Elven path through Mirkwood.

The Guards showed them into the throne room. King Thranduil of the Wood Elves awaited them upon his throne, carved from two enormous elk antlers. He was wearing a fine robe of dark green, trimmed with silver thread and his crown of leaves was decorated with woodland flowers. His long white blonde hair was typical of an Elven Lord of the Sinda. Standing by his side, his son Prince Legolas was the very image of his father.

Thranduil stood when he saw his visitors and they exchanged pleasantries before Thranduil turned to Aragorn. "My guards say you have come to me for assistance. How may I be of service to you?"

"We come with grave news concerning my cousin Lord Beren of Duincar of whom you were acquainted."

"I know of him, yes, though my brother and son had personal dealings with him. He passed through Mirkwood with news occasionally. Though rarely have we seen rangers in these parts of late."

"Has something happened to Beren?" asked Legolas.

"Alas, Beren, his household and village are no more. Orcs attacked Duincar under the command of the Temple of Morgoth. They killed everyone they could find."

Legolas looked distraught. "This is grim news indeed. Beren was a good friend. It grieves me to think that he and his family were wiped out so cruelly."

"Fortunately, not all of his family were slain, Legolas. His daughter, Anberenien, escaped unharmed. She is living in Rivendell under the Guardianship of Lord Elrond, who is raising her as his own," said Gandalf.

"That must be a comfort to you, Aragorn. There are few left of the royal line of Elendil these days," said Thranduil.

"Alas, Anberenien and I are all that is left of the direct line."

"My condolences at the loss of your family, Aragorn. But why do you come to me for help? You could have sent us this information by messenger."

"We come seeking information of a delicate nature. Hence, a messenger could not be trusted," said Gandalf.

"We have learned that the objective of the attack was to abduct Anberenien in the confusion and take her to an enclave in the Emyn Duir," said Aragorn. "We came to you for any knowledge you may have on this enclave."