Chapter Twenty One: The Dale Incident

"You call your father imprisoning the Dwarves and laying siege to Erebor some unpleasantness?" -Thorwen

1st July/Cerveth, 3016, The Woodland Realm, Mirkwood

Beneath the twinkling sky, Thranduil and Calenamath raced each other through the trees. Their white blonde hair glistened in the moonlight as it flowed behind them. Thranduil came to a halt by a stream. He dismounted whilst his Elk drank and awaited his brother. Calenamath slowed his horse to a halt and dismounted. His thin smile veiled his annoyance. "You win again, Muindor."

"Of course, Lagorphen is the fastest of my rides." Thranduil put a flask to his lips and then offered it to Calenamath. "It is an excellent vintage."

"I do not doubt it." He took the flask, taking a good sip before passing it back to his brother. "It is a warm night. Reminds me of when we would camp with Ada in Neldoreth."

Thranduil laughed nervously. "Yes, and I always won then, too."

"Yes, you did. But I do recall one time I succeeded in beating you. You didn't speak to me for months. You always were a poor loser. I remember you and Celeborn...."

"Your report, Muindor!" snapped Thranduil.

Calenamath's relaxed demeanour died. He looked about him, ensuring no one else was hiding nearby. Then drew close to Thranduil, barely speaking above a whisper. "I have ill news. Some of those who claimed to have escaped the enclave have disappeared again before my inquisitors could question them. Those they have questioned, have spoken of the priests corrupting Silvan Elves to their cause. Some now speak traitorous words against us and return to corrupt our people. We must be vigilant."

"I want names. We must root out any corruption quickly."

"And what of the Dale excursion? I assume you no longer wish Thorwen to join us."

Thranduil shook his head. "If we change our plans now, our enemies will grow suspicious. Take more guards, just in case. I want nothing to go wrong." He glanced at his arm. "This is Legolas's chance to prove himself and get to know Thorwen more intimately."

"Of course," replied Calenamath.

Thranduil studied his brother's expression. There was little reaction."You approve of my plan, then?"

"Yes, it would seem prudent for us to make such an alliance."

"My thoughts exactly Muindor, I hope that with the right encouragement, they will grow a fondness for each other."

"How does Legolas feel about taking Thorwen to wife? I assume that is what you were talking about at the Midyear Feast."

"Legolas sees the wisdom of it."

Calenamath raised an eyebrow. "Really? I've never noticed any hint of his interest in her."

"There is time enough for their hearts to open. She is a fine young woman in the blossom of youth. How could he not fall for her charms?" Thranduil felt a warmth in his cheeks and feared he had said too much. But it did not appear Calenamath was aware of the truth behind his plan. He smiled and patted Calenamath on his shoulder. "And anyway, I could not ask you to form such an alliance. What if Melian's prophecy came to be, and you passed from Middle Earth in Thorwen's arms? You would not wish that upon her after all that she has suffered, would you, Muindor?"

Calenamath's composure dropped, his teeth clenched and his nostrils flared. "And what of your prophecy? I see no vast kingdom. We are diminished. Many of our people are leaving Middle Earth!"