Chapter Twenty Eight: The King's Betrothed

"I have suffered worse, My Lady. Go with them I will be fine!" - Rodon

Thorwen's dreams were full of the previous night's triumph. After the successful completion of the dance. She and Thranduil plighted their troth before everyone assembled. The night was a whirl of celebration, feasting and dancing, and as she relived those happy memories, something caught her attention up on one of the walkways. Thorwen saw the white doe looking down at her and she felt the urge to follow.

The doe led her through the many walkways and passages, Elven music continuing faintly in the distance. When they reached the Great Doors of the Elven Halls there were no guards and Thorwen realised she had drifted into the unseen. The Great doors opened and sunlight poured through the open doorway. The doe then trotted over the bridge and sprang away into the undergrowth. On the other side of the bridge, Thorwen saw a familiar figure. He was still dressed in his scruffy brown robes, but now in his ageless form. She beamed from ear to ear. "Aiwendil! Aiwendil!"

With a joyful heart, she ran over the bridge, and they embraced. "I had to come and wish you well. The Elven scouts told me of your betrothal. I am so happy for you, Sweet Sister."

"Then why did you not come to the feast, Beloved Brother?"

"It is too dangerous to come in person. Orc attacks have been more frequent of late. Many of my poor friends have been injured or slain. I have been keeping a watchful eye on Dol Guldur, and the Dark Lord's most feared servants have returned to that place. The Nazgul, two of them at least, are residing there. If I come to you, their spies might discover our truth."

"Then come to me as you have this night."

"Even this is risky, Almárie. I feel his shadow, even now." He looked afraid suddenly and pulled away from her. "I must go, for both our sakes. But know that I love you, whatever happens. Farewell Sweet Sister, may we meet again soon..." As he faded away, there was a clap of thunder and a dark cloud came over the sun. Thorwen could feel Sauron's presence. He did not speak, but she knew he was sending her a message. He was watching and waiting to strike, and at any moment.

"You shall never have me, Sauron!" she called out aloud. The wind got up and, all at once, burned and blackened stumps replaced the beautiful green forest. Thorwen turned and marched back across the bridge and through the great gates of the Elven Halls. But as the doors clanged shut, Thorwen was sure she could hear Sauron's malicious laughter from the other side.

---------------------------------------------------

27th March/Gwaeron, 3017, The Cells of The Elven Halls.

The guard led Thorwen through a maze of cells in the lower part of the Elven Halls. This was part of the cavernous complex that she was completely unfamiliar with. It was colder and darker than the main living areas. There was a dampness in the air and Thorwen could hear echoes of the underground river as it passed through the tunnels. She remembered from Bilbo's stories how he and the Dwarves had escaped the Elven Halls using discarded barrels that had been released into the water. There were a lot of guards stationed around the area. Though Thorwen noticed there did not seem to be any prisoners within the cells she passed.

Golviel had woken Thorwen from a deep slumber, informing her that Gandalf requested her presence in the cells. Gollum was refusing to cooperate unless he could speak with the 'Pretty Precious'. Reluctantly, she had agreed and dressed for the day, her sheathed blades clearly on display. As they walked, the guard kept apologizing every so often for bringing her there. Shortly he stopped at a cell door which, unlike the other cells, had a wooden door and knocked on it loudly. "You will need this, Hiril Nin," he said, handing her a lit torch. Legolas' bright eyes could be seen on the other side as a hatch in the door opened.