Chapter Eighteen: Daughter of Moonlight

"If that is what they call you, then that is who you are." - Radagast

1st April / GwirithT.A 3011, The King's Apartments, The Elven Halls

Thranduil was resting on a daybed in his parlour when Calenamath and Legolas entered. Both collapsed into nearby armchairs. Thranduil ordered his attendants to serve food and drink. "How is Thorwen?"

"Hysterical!" said Legolas.

"She is a little calmer after Celephinniel administered the Valerian tea. But is very distressed. You should never have given her hope, Muindor," said Calenamath.

"I never gave her hope. She misunderstood the situation," replied Thranduil.

"You could have at least explained things to her beforehand."

"No, Celeborn and Elrond needed to understand I knew their truth. Well, Celeborn anyway."

Calenamath got to his feet. "You used Thorwen to get one over on our cousin? How could you Thranduil? She is a child!"

"You know very well Thorwen is not a child in the full sense of the word. So does Celeborn. Do you think he wants to take her to Lothlórien to prepare for marriage? More like an assault on Dol Guldur! I have known him longer than you, Muindor. Even longer than his Noldor Wife! I know you are very protective of Thorwen but she will not be a 'child' forever and as you saw for yourself, her Will grows and she can control it. Besides, if Thorwen was meant to go to Lothlórien, the eagle would have left her there."

"Ada is right uncle, what other reason could there be for Thorwen to be left here, other than to help defend our realm?" said Legolas.

"I do not doubt that, but we cannot force Thorwen to help us. She must be willing and I fear all the work Celephinniel and I have put into building trust with her has been set back after today's events."

"Oh, I don't know, those plates she hurled were firmly directed at me."

Calenamath chuckled. "You caught them well enough."

Thranduil sighed. Perhaps Calenamath was right. He had gone too far. But he was sure that given time Thorwen would understand."I will speak with her when she is in a more receptive mood. In the meantime, it would be good for Thorwen to explore the forest."

Calenamath nodded. "Agreed, Muindor. I shall take her out tomorrow." He then took his leave.

"Are you not concerned she will try to escape in her state of mind?" asked Legolas.

Thranduil pulled up his robes and examined the bracelet on his wrist. "Of course, but I will know where she is. And you and your scouts will ensure she does not cross our borders."

"But what if she......?"

"I do not believe Thorwen will do anything to harm us. She killed those Orcs in self-defence. But Calenamath is right. For Thorwen to want to help us defend our realm, she must learn to love it and its people."

---------------------------------------------

1st August/ Urui 3011, The Woodland Realm, Mirkwood

Thorwen wandered along the wooded trail she had found, unsure from which way she had come. But she was unconcerned as someone would find her, whether she wanted them to or not. Whenever she had given Calenamath or Celephinniel the slip, Legolas and his scouts always found her. Sometimes she would almost cross the threshold only for them to jump out and surround her. Legolas was never angry but would express concern that Thorwen had strayed too far and that the king had sent them out of concern for her welfare.