Chapter One : The Good

It all started just like your typical Disney movie bullshit. She was my best friend, we were the closest, and I loved her. I loved her and she said that she loved me, too. Little did I know, it was all lies.

She made me happy, I believed her every word and followed her around everywhere like a lovesick puppy.

Of course, she had a boyfriend. She promised me that when they broke up, she'd be with me. And of course, I believed her, like the dumb bitch I was.

We spent every weekend at each other's houses. We watched movies, played with her hamster, and we would sit on her bed and talk for hours. I was so in love with her.

I remember when we wore a couples costume for Halloween one year. That was a nice memory. We were good friends for a while.

That's when it started.

Soon enough, she started complaining about everything. "My boyfriend is being an ass.", "My mom made me do chores.", "All my friends are leaving me.". She started coming to school with bruises and marks on her arms, claiming that her mother had hit her. She claimed that her mother was abusive and CPS wouldn't do anything about it. And I believed her. I even tried to get her mom separated from her. I feel so bad for her mom. She had a demonic daughter with an oh-so-faithful minion by her side. We never got to send to her away, thankfully. I'm so ashamed of the person I used to be.

I remember the night of my 16th birthday. I'd invited a few of my friends over, including her. We spent the night playing games, watching movies, and having fun. Then they all went home except for her. She spent the night with me. We stayed up until 5am together, laying side by side on my bed, holding hands, talking about everything and nothing.

I had been rambling so she closed the distance between us. It was the slightest kiss, the faintest brush of the lips, and yet still I remember it like it was yesterday. She automatically apologized and said she only wanted me to stop talking.

I told her that it was okay and neither of us spoke for a long time.

When I finally spoke up, she looked a bit startled, and she looked up at me, eyes full of curiosity. I asked her if the kids meant anything to her and she told me that of course it did.

We lapsed back into silence. I thought of inappropriate things I wanted to do to her. I wanted to grab her by her shirt and make me kiss her longer, I wanted to give her love bites, I wanted to get her undressed. I stayed quiet and didn't do anything.
She looked me in the eye and asked me what I was thinking about. I blankly stared at her and said nothing. Then we finally went to sleep.
We never talked about that night afterward. Never had discussions on our feelings toward each other or the things that happened that night.

Even so, life was going great for me.

And then it all went to shit.