05. According to Plan

He didn't know how he had actually got her to at least sit down again.

But the fact that she was now forced to rest spread a little relief in him. Rex kept casting worried glances at the Togruta and was not at all concerned with what was actually happening.

Only the General's piercing voice made him aware of the situation around him. The droids were advancing again, they had to act soon.

Windu called everyone together.

The clone captain watched grudgingly as Ahsoka braced herself against the wall and heaved herself to her feet. But he wasn't going to help her again, he knew she wouldn't accept it.

When all the survivors were gathered, the dark-skinned man began to speak with his typical scowl:

"This is where the droids are invading, we will attack head on, it is the only way. Means they will know how we are coming, so no element of surprise."

Meanwhile his fingers flew over the hologram where red dots kept lighting up or other markers kept flashing.

"Commander, you will lead a small group onto the rock walls, here, and attack from there. The rest of the unit, under my leadership and Padawan Tano's, will fight directly in the ravine."

Ahsoka's stomach tightened at the last words. She didn't want to fight. But not for herself, for the others.

The men were silent, all thinking the same thing. Until finally Echo pronounced it, "Sir, are you sure Comander Tano is in condition to join the battle?"

Windu's gaze turned to the pale Togruta on the other side of the holoplane. He eyed her briefly, then asked in the gentlest possible tone, "It's not as bad as it looks, is it?"

Ahsoka looked up at him briefly. In his eyes she could see that she had better agree.

"No, I'm okay, I'm fine", she brought out coolly.

Rex seethed with anger at his commander's words. Not because of her, but because he knew full well that she had no real choice or power to contradict him.

You could see the fever in her eyes, which shone waterily, just like the crusted bullet wound on her hip.

The briefing was broken up and he took the opportunity to have a word with the so called General.

"What is it, Captain?", Master Windu greeted him with a less than pleased expression.

"General, are you really sure that Commander Tano has to go into battle with you?" he asked, restraining his anger as best he could.

"Absolutely."

"Sir, she's as white as a sheet, has a fever, uncanny difficulty staying conscious and can barely walk. I can literally feel her pain."

Mace narrowed his eyes and eyed the clone in front of him. This man had guts, he didn't like that at all.

"As I recall, you are not a Jedi and cannot sense the emotions of others", he replied haughtily.

Rex's head smoked and he screwed up his face, but then tried to calm down again. By being angry, he wasn't helping Ahsoka either.

"No, you're right about that, but you are one. So you must have sensed it."

Windu fixed the clone's brown eyes. "No, hardly."

'Maybe you're just that numb!' Rex hissed in thought.

Of course the Jedi Master felt the Padawan's pain, but he felt she could take it.

Ahsoka had insulated herself so well emotionally from Windu that it might actually seem to him that she had few problems. However, that would mean he wouldn't have to have eyes in his head. Although sometimes that wasn't so badly true.

She didn't want to show any weakness to him. Even if she knew that he would never give her peace like that, but would continue to pester her. But that was one thing her pride would not allow. Not yet.

"Then at least have a med team sent, she is in desperate need of proper medical attention!" the clone tried again.

"Captain, if Padawan Tano is too unwell, she will report to me and explain it herself. She doesn't need an intermediary to do that. Now get back to work, we leave at dawn. That's an order, Captain!"

Rex sighed and shook his head. "Sir... I know you can't stand Skywalker," he began in a calm voice.

Windu drew in a sharp breath, which sent a shiver down his spine. He was defying his orders for the first time. But for Ahsoka, it was worth it to him.

"Commander Tano needs urgent help, this new weapon is unknown to us, she is pale and weakened, possibly can barely see clearly and is in tremendous pain! She'll die if we don't!"

He grew louder towards the end. A few other clones squinted in their direction, Fives and Echo looked at each other uncertainly.

Before the dark one could say anything back, someone else spoke up.

Ahsoka held Rex, who had come dangerously close to the General, by the arm and spoke with gentle, calm, yet clearly audible exhaustion in her voice.

"Rex, it's okay, really, I don't want you to get in trouble because of me".

His gaze softened at her words and the smile that crept onto her face to match.

He gave her a smile as well, but his gaze back at Windu was tinged with distaste.

"You see, clone, she acts to appear selfless, so how bad can she be?"

Ahsoka looked somewhat aghast at the Jedi Master, Rex clenched his fists. Windu turned away from them both and strode away, unaffected by the Captain's words.

Only a slender hand on his shoulder could keep him from lunging at the General. He would have jumped on his back and snapped his neck! If it weren't for Ahsoka, who was applying light pressure to his wrist.

Hurt by the way Windu had spoken to his friend, he turned to face her. The anger was reflected in his eyes, but the condolence in the girl's touched him.

He simply did not understand how she could remain so calm in the face of open attack.