09. Darkness

Anakin could only focus on his own battle, as in this victory was the only chance to save Ahsoka.

More droids exploded as he flew at breakneck speed towards the seperatist blockade.

Only a few clicks away lay his target. Only a few seconds more and the battle would be won. Not long now, Ahsoka would be safe again. Not much longer, then he could help his Snips.

The republic fighter dashed over the clueless droids in the destroyer's command centre, which disintegrated into pieces seconds later.

The blast wave had reached the bridge, the last ship of the blockade bursting from within.

Satisfied, Anakin examined his work. He hoped that the others below were just as lucky with their fight. Both on the battlefield and in survival itself. Relieved to finally be able to send them help, Anakin put it through his comlink.

"Admiral? The way is clear, send Kix down."

***

Rex, on the other hand, was on edge. Even with bandages and crusts, her injury wouldn't stop bleeding.

The little trickle that led from her belly to the floor was slowly but surely draining more and more of the red fluid she had already lost too much of.

Agitated he leaned with his back against the wall of the cave, which was diagonally opposite the place where his girl was resting.

Again and again he came to her to check if her pulse could still be felt. From his position, he could monitor that she was breathing calmly and deeply.

On the one hand it reassured him that she had finally fallen asleep, but on the other hand it drove him crazy not knowing whether she would wake up again.

Ahsoka didn't know herself. She finally relaxed a little for the first time in the last few hours. Her pain faded into the background, though it was still present like a normal gunshot wound.

Instead, she occupied herself with her surroundings. She sensed the unease of her friend standing on the other side of the cave. And that made her nervous herself.

After a few minutes, she had tried to block it out. She detached herself from the power that held her inside. The light that entered her eyes through her lids disappeared.

Her mind roamed through the cave with a silken connection to her body. Everything was quiet, only a blurry grey shadow moving slightly now and then. Nowhere was there anything to give support or tell her exactly where she was.

Disoriented, she looked around at nothing but darkness. She could no longer perceive the light that the rising sun gave from outside.

Perhaps it was because the Togruta was so severely weakened. But perhaps she simply did not want to see any light at that moment.

The darkness suddenly seemed so warm, so safe. It gave her certainty about what would happen to her. The light before only held life-or-death uncertainty for the girl.

But if either way the chances of death outweighed that, what could the light offer her? Why should she continue to follow it?

Was darkness the better choice after all? Could she spare herself pain, gather strength, if she allowed herself to be wrapped in the woolly, black blanket?

Was it okay to let go at this point? Was there any hope of life at all?

Rex's heart stopped as her breathing broke off.

He started to move without having consciously asked for it. His legs carried him to the lifeless Togruta, whose head lay on her shoulder with her eyes closed.

Her arms were laid on the ground so that her one hand was dipped in the small, watery puddle of blood. One leg extended forward, the other still bent.

His steps quickened until he dropped to his knees in front of her. Immediately Rex sought her wrist and placed two fingers on it.

Her delicate fingers were slightly bent and powerless, her whole body pale.

Rex prayed, prayed she would start breathing again as he pressed on the vein under her palm. He swallowed.

No pulse.