12. Attack

He didn't want to. But he had to.

Sometimes he cursed these missions and endless meetings.

To be more precisely often. Actually, all the time hit the nail on the head.

Anakin was already flying through the corridors of the cruiser at almost the speed of light.

Having delivered his report to the Council, he was now on his way to Ahsoka as fast as possible. To his Snips.

In front of him, the doors to the hangar sped open and he nearly knocked over a group of clones as he continued to dash straight ahead.

"R2, start the engines!", he instructed his friend, who had already made himself comfortable in the fighter.

At his command, the glowing light steamed at the back of the ship. With a leap he landed in his plane and the hatch above him closed.

A powerful thrust went through the fighter and Anakin rushed out of the hangar towards the small, dusty planet, which was dotted with countless, thin, grey veils of cloud. But even through these, a tiny bit of the red, sand-covered surface shone through.

"I'm coming Snips," he whispered to himself as he felt her powers fading.

The words resonated in the mind of the young Togruta, whose battered body continued to lean against the far wall of the cave, propped up and unceasingly guarded by a clone.

She dozed lightly, not oblivious to what was happening around her. The pain in her side had continued to spread, now sending ripples of itself through her lungs as well as her eyes.

Her left leg continued to be restricted in its movement by the dried blood, her arms felt heavy.

Opening her eyes did little to change her visual perception, only a blurred and colour-clouded image loomed before her. She could make out darker silhouettes that seemed to keep the light moving at the entrance.

But she didn't need to see anything at the moment. So her eyes remained closed.

Kix would arrive in a good half hour, her master was also on his way. Rex at her side, watching over her.

Ahsoka, despite the pain and the uneasy feeling still in her stomach, felt at ease.

And she wanted to enjoy that. Every time the worry that this ominous foreboding brought took over her thoughts, the girl tried to push it aside, praying that she wasn't playing with her friends' lives in the process.

But she lacked the strength to investigate more closely whose life was in danger. She hated herself for that. Someone was going to die soon, Ahsoka knew that. But there was nothing she could do to stop it. She sensed that.

The dark, piercing voice snapped her out of her trance even before Rex could.

To the clone, however, it still looked like she was asleep, and he was sorry to have to wake her.

Gently, he applied pressure to her shoulder and she opened her eyes to signal that she was conscious.

She could not see Rex's frightened expression through her veiled vision.

The clone tried to regain his composure, his blood frozen in his veins at the sight of the red welts stretching across her open eyes.

"Ahsoka...", he began to speak carefully, gently pulling her into an upright position.

"Can you see anything at all?"

The young Togruta considered before giving her answer. She was sure that something had to be discernible in her eyes, or he wouldn't have asked.

"Blurry", she returned curtly.

Rex knew that was all she was likely to admit, but that was enough for him. He would try by all means to cover her in battle, to put her completely off fighting was simply impossible.

For as weak as she might be physically, the same stubbornness he was so fond of still sat in front of him.

And no matter how much pain she was in, the smile on her lips would always shine, no matter how dark everything seemed on the outside.

And that faint smile warmed Rex's heart. This girl knew how to charm you.