13. Battle

His one hand reached for her elbow, with the other he took hers and guided it to his shoulder.

Then Rex put his arm around her side, careful not to touch the wound. Ahsoka didn't protest at any of these actions.

She was saving her strength to survive the upcoming fight. Windu had ordered everyone to the entrance of the cave, his Commander had already left with a few clones for the cliffs to take up their positions on either side of the ravine.

As Rex led them along the path to the cluster of soldiers, the effects of rest and bandage were beginning to show.

Ahsoka had more strength in her legs again, even if every movement was painful and sluggish.

Still her eyes were sparkling, despite the small pools of blood that had formed in them and made it almost impossible for her to see.

Her skin had regained more colour since her body had some time to replenish blood without losing it immediately. Not much, but at least she wasn't quite as ashen as before.

Rex took Ahsoka all the way out of the cave, where she received the bright sunlight.

The girl couldn't really see it, only that it was getting brighter, but she felt the pleasant warmth on her skin, which filled her whole body with a tingling sensation.

At that moment, the Commander of the 187th relayed his arrival on the cliffs to his General, who ordered the march into the ravine.

The clones checked their blasters one last time and then followed the lordly Jedi.

Ahsoka continued to let Rex help her, as she was now repeatedly plagued by dizzy spells and her eyesight was failing completely.

But that didn't make the Togruta disobey her order and not come along. So she continued to fight her way after the clones, even when Rex was supposed to take the lead.

Not wanting to leave his friend alone under any circumstances, the clone captain sent Fives and Echo to her side, Jesse helping him lead the group.

And Ahsoka let them help her, too. Only the thought of being able to cover her friends in battle like this allowed it.

The small path up to the wide crevice seemed eternal to the girl and afflicted with pain. Yet it was not even a third of the way they had walked to their previous shelter.

The about fifteen clones on the cliff face gave a sign, the droids were advancing with the old and ordinary as well as new tanks.

Ahsoka was seized with pain at the thought of the cruel machines, one of which had almost destroyed her.

Recalling it like that, she found it hard to believe herself not to be to blame for the injury.

If she had paid more attention, if she had been quicker, she wouldn't be in this state now.

Then she would still be able to save the life that would end today. She was sure by now that the one to whom her queasy feeling was related was close to her.

And the day only had a few hours left, so it would happen soon. Very soon.

The Republicans reached the ravine at the same moment as their opponents. For a moment they all stood still, locked their forces in position and seemed to be waiting for something.

Almost as if they were giving each other time to gear up. Ahsoka knew they were only building on each other's first move.

They always did. Being second gave you a better chance of doing the right thing. Because you already knew part of your opponent's tactics if you were smart enough to see through them.

The wind sent a howling battle cry through the gorge, kicking up dust from the stone slabs. Just a second more.

She picked up her lightsaber and the droids opened fire.