16. Time as Enemy - Part 2

Anakin didn't want to believe it. He just didn't want to believe what his eyes were showing him. What all his senses were telling him and what was tearing at his heart.

She lay there, her head resting on Rex's arm, her eyes a tiny crack and her mouth slightly open.

"Snips...", he whispered as little drops actually shimmered in his eyes.

His steps quickened automatically. There she lay, not breathing and completely pale. A gaping wound adorned her side, from which her warm blood still oozed. But slowly the pressure eased, pumping new waves of the red fluid from her body.

After a few metres, Anakin dropped to his knees between the two clones. His fingers slid over her hand and encircled it, hoping to feel the light pressure returned.

But nothing.

Desperately he shook her shoulder and called her name.

He just wanted his perception to deceive him, he wanted to feel her pulse again, her life, her strength. He wanted his Snips back...

But she wouldn't come back. She would never come back. Never again would either of them get a snippy remark or hear her know-it-all tone.

Never again would they see Ahsoka's smile that brought one to their lips as well.

Never again would she soothe them with her touch, or, in the case of one of them, send a tingle through their body.

Never again would Anakin rush through the temple with his girl because they were late. No more training sessions. No more missions together.

Never again would Rex roam the streets of Coruscant with Ahsoka to escape the tasks of everyday life. No more would he hear her laughter. No longer see her bright eyes. No longer feel her soft skin.

Kix shook his head and stood up. He left the two of them alone with his commander. It seemed the right thing to do, to give them the time.

To say goodbye. To let go, perhaps. Even if they would never make it for good, or wanted to.

He didn't know if she had lasted this long to slowly prepare her friends.

Anyone else would have died within less hours from such a wound.

But no matter how long one prepared for the loss of a loved one, in the end it came far too quickly and unexpectedly.

She did not deserve it.

-¯-_-¯-_-¯-_-¯-_-¯-_-¯-_-¯-_-¯-_-¯-

"Ahsoka"

Silence.

"Ahsoka!"

Other voices.
Soothing words.
Nothing.

"Ahsoka... No... No... No!"

Anakin.

"General..."

Rex.

Silence.

Kix, Fives, Echo, Jesse.

They were here. All of them. They stood by her. Knowing they had lost a good friend. Or maybe more.

The light that filtered through her barely open eyes was interrupted by moving shadows.

She was not breathing, her heart was not beating. The oxygen in her body was almost depleted.

'Not for long'

That thought brought relief. Her strength was exhausted to the last drop.

She could take no more. It was too much. Just too much. A tear would have flowed down her cheek now if her body had still been capable of it.

The feeling of suffocation mixed with the strange sensation of blood loss. And then, all at once, it was over.

Her mind was free. Free and not bound to her body.

Slowly she drifted over into the force that welcomed her pleasantly. Everything felt so complete here. So beautiful. And yet, something was missing. Her friends. But there was nothing she could do about that.

It was too late.

_______________________________________

That brings us to the end of the story...

Literally. I'm sorry. But I have two more things:

The first concerns all of you who are now cursing me because of this ending:

1) I'm writing an 'alternative ending', or rather I'm adding two more chapters in which I created a more acceptable ending.

Secondly, I would like to say to everyone who has followed this story up to here:

Thank you ♡