Prologue

Was Keefe Sencen dying inside? Yes.

Did anyone notice? No.

Except Tam Song. Tam was understanding.

He helped when Keefe woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare, showing him that shadows could be used for good as well as evil, like any other power. Keefe smiled and nodded every time Tam tried.

Smiling.

The one thing Keefe didn't want to do.

But he forced himself to smile, to joke, to laugh, like everything was normal.

It wasn't.

He was smiling.

But he was dying.

Keefe knew that if he died, it would be while smiling. And though he didn't necessarily want that to happen, he knew he'd be fine if it did.

And he knew no one else would care if he disappeared off of the face of the earth, like a smushed bug being wiped off of a car windshield. One second, there - the next, gone.

But it felt so contradictory that Keefe decided when he died, it would be on his own terms.

He would finally let the trapped tears flow down his face, let everyone see who Keefe Sencen really was, just before he died.

Let them see the real Keefe. Just for a minute, then he would die - causing everyone to change from pitying and scornful to mourning effectively.

Until then, Keefe would keep on smiling.

Smiling and dying.

A/N: God that was harder to write than I thought it would be. Poor Keefe though... I have most of this story planned out, but I don't know how long it'll be. Could be ten chapters, could be fifty (fingers crossed it won't be though 🤞). Anyways... what do you guys think about this idea? I'm only gonna be on every Tuesday night/Wednesday morning though, so you might have to wait while I'm off. See you on the flip side 👌!