Prologue

(Trigger Warning! Sensitive content ahead!) 

"When is your father coming through the front door?" 

Clarise's mom was sitting at the dinning room table, her eyes pressed against her hands as she propped her elbows up on the table. Her black hair was covering most of her face. Her oily, nearly-matted, hair. If you didn't noticed the wrinkly and stained dress she wore, or the smell she exuded, you'd already know Clarise's mom was exhausted. 

"In exactly 2 minutes." Clarise's little voice was playful. Her little legs kicking behind her as she laid on her tummy, mindlessly writing in a little math booklet. It was typical for a young child like her to be doing math booklets, usually it was for the next grade level up. So children Clarise's age would be filling out 4th grader booklets, but Clarise's was a little different. 

It was a Calculus 2 booklet, meant for college students. 

And per usual, she was getting every single problem correct, and she didn't even have to write down her steps. 

"How's the booklet going, sweetie?" Clarise's mom turned slightly to look at her darling daughter, so small and innocent. 

"I am 33% of the way done, currently on page 49, number 5." 

"That great honey," she returned to her defeated position, rubbing her eyes harder against her hands like she was trying to smother her tears away. "Honey, d-do you need me anymore?" 

"No mommy, I don't need you." Of course Clarise didn't need her mom to help her with simple math problems. But she didn't realize how harmful her words were.

"What was the name of the woman he's seeing?" Clarise's mom's voice wavered, but she did not move from her position at the table. The dinner before her already cold. 

"Heather Joselyn Smith." 

There was now dead silence, until Clarise's mom suddenly stood up. So suddenly and so violently that the kitchen table flew backwards. 

Clarise jumped at the movement but did not move from her spot in the living room. She watched her mom closely as she grabbed the largest kitchen knife and ran upstairs. Half-hazard swinging the knife around as she ran.

I wonder where she is going? 

To the master bathroom.  

The muffled sound of water running tickled Clarise's little ears. The bath tub was filling up. 

Is she taking a bath finally? 

No. 

The hair on Clarise's neck suddenly stood up, chills running up and down her spine as she stopped herself from wondering what her mom was up to. Something told her not to think about it. 

Where is daddy? 

Standing at the front door. 

Clarise shot to her feet, running to the front door with excitement. Her dad was off seeing his girlfriend, although he told Clarise's mom he was working late. Clarise thought it was strange. 

She fiddled quickly with the lock and swung the door open, surprising her dad who was just on his phone, standing outside his house like he was some sort of solicitor. He quickly tucked his phone in his dress pants and opened the screen door, crouching down to greet his daughter.