Chapter 13

Mateo never had time to enjoy a social life ever since he began working at the facility, he barely managed to grab an apartment that allowed pets that was a decent distance away from the facility.

So it was kind of weird, having a woman in his living space. It had always been him and his dogs, and occasionally his uncle. His listened closely for the sound of the shower starting, and the squeaky curtain closing shut. It sounds like she figured out how to use his shower.

His mind wandered just a little, imagining what she could be doing in there, but he quickly shook away his thoughts. Going back to his task at hand, he was quite literally washing away the dirtiness. She really was just a friend from work, if you could call their relationship friendship. Mateo really knew nothing about her. Most of their conversations were heavily one sided.

She wasn't much of a talker.

He wasn't much for silence.

Besides, it sounds like they will be parting ways tomorrow. She'll most likely be moved to another facility, he'll move onto his next assignment.

Mateo paused for a moment. She'll be put into another facility, probably going to keep living the same life as she did before until the day she dies. Or until the day BEYOND no longer sees her use. The corporation seems to cut off their losses real quick.

Memories of the lab popped up. The electric shocks, the needles, her pained eyes. It was enough to make his blood boil, especially the fact that she's lived like that since she was 8 years old. A child. Not old enough to realize what was being done to her was inhumane. And now that she's older it's like all emotions had been drained from her.

But spending time with her these past few days, he could see bits of that human emotion, that human curiosity, and how quickly it is self-diminished.

Lost in his thoughts he nearly forgot something, only remembering when he heard the shower stop and the curtain open.

"Oh shit! Hold on!" He shouted a the bathroom door, "Stay behind the curtain, I'll get your towel and clothes."

He ran into his room, searching through his mass of clothes that he half-hazard tossing them around, sniffing a couple to gauge their cleanliness. Settling for a black t-shirt and boxers he grabbed a nearby towel and opened the bathroom door, immediately averting his eyes.

He forgot how thin his shower curtain was. It was meant for his dogs to be able to sorta see him since they both were a bit anxious whenever he was in the bathroom. But now he could see everything.

Clarise immediately picked up on this and covered herself the best she could, turning around and crouching to protect what was left of her dignity. Not that she had that much to begin with.

"Sorry! My bad," he coughed, "h-here." He laid everything on the sink's counter and quickly closed the door behind him, trying to erase the memory of her form. So small and delicate. "Get your head out of the gutter Mateo," he grumbled before letting out a defeated sigh, plopping on his couch, all his energy suddenly drained.

Clarise was utterly mortified. Taking a second to collect herself she finally got back out of the shower, taking the towel and drying herself off. She was a bit disappointed at the clothing, namely that she will not be wearing any undergarments, but she won't complain

The shirt was incredibly oversized, and the boxers slid right off her hips, having to roll the waistband to at least get them to stay. Her hair though, immediately soaked the back of the shirt despite her trying to smother it dry.

But it was her hair, something she hardly let anyone touch, only allowing lab assistants to tie it as needed. Her hair was something her mother loved to play with, and something she took great pride in taking care of. But right now it felt heavy and dirty despite her shower.

It was in her way.

Taking a deep breath she exited the bathroom, she looked over at Mateo who was slumped on the couch, his head leaned back and eyes close. She approached slowly, and almost like he could sense her he opened his eyes, taking in her freshly cleaned form.

"Geez, their huge on you." He laughed a bit, "Here, take a seat and I'll rebandaged your feet."

Nodding she sat beside him before he got up, searching his kitchen cabinets for his first aid kit.

"Are you hungry? I can go grab some food after I'm done." He looked over to her, squinting at her lips now that she a bit far.

No, but can I ask a favor?

"Yeah, shoot." Mateo's interest was piqued, what favor?

Can you but my hair?

He was completely thrown off, pausing his search in hesitation. "W-what? You want me to cut your hair?"

She nodded.

"Are you sure?" He found his kit and grabbed a pair of kitchen shears just in case, "I don't think you want me to attempt that." As far as he knew, girls take great pride in their hair, and he didn't want to be responsible for ruining this beautiful girl's beautiful hair.

She simply shrugged, watching him as he applied medicine to her wounds and began to wrap up her feet, plastering her scrapes as well.

"You really want me to cut your hair?" He took up his kitchen shears, pointing them at her, "You sure you don't want to do it yourself."

She nodded, pointing at his head then at herself. She knew he cuts his own hair, so what's so hard about cutting hers?

He won't know how to cut my hair, our hair types are too different. His curls covered up his mistakes, but my hair is too straight to make up for any of miss-cuts.

"O-kay then," he took in a sharp breath, "Don't say I didn't warn you."