Chapter 15

Peter reached for her shoulder first, not expecting her to suddenly come alive, her foot connecting right with his sensitive bits. 

Slightly dazed, Peter barely registered in his mind that Clarise had rolled to the other side of the bed, going straight to the window and quickly undoing the latch, swinging it wide open to the fire escape. Her escape.  

"Wait!" He rolled over the bed, going to grab her by her waist but she managed to pivot out of his reach just in time. He went to grab her again by the wrist, but she evaded that too, pulling her hand away just in time. A bit frustrated and more determined, he went for a full body tackle, which she somehow maneuvered over him, rolling over his back and proceeded to hop out of the window, slamming it closed behind her. "Shit!" 

Clarise was following her own instructions to a T, her body moving almost faster than her mind. She quickly began running down the fire escape. Mateo only lived on the 3rd floor, so the street level was not too far down. 

Peter was quickly behind her, cussing to himself as he hopped out the window, skipping steps to try and catch up to her. He wasn't supposed to hurt her, and he was trying hard not to, but she was a bit too quick for him. It was like she knew what he was going to do even before he knew what to do. 

"She's headed towards street level!" He luckily had his team on comms, and they were all awaiting orders. "I couldn't identify her abilities, so stay on guard!" 

Peter had seen it all. People who could breath fire. People who could climb walls like lizards. Even people who could melt solid steel like it is butter. It was insane what a mutation in the human genome could do for people. 

Clarise managed to get to the street, her feet already burning again from all this movement. The cool city air tickled her cheeks as she began to run towards the street. 

Duck. 

Out of no where some man popped out from the corner, taking a swing at her head but she dodged just in time. He was holding a syringe in his other hand, going for a injection before Clarise pushed his arm down, it was so sudden he arm gave way and he stabbed the needle into his thigh, it automatically releasing the fluids inside. 

What luck. 

As he collapsed Peter went to lay him gently on the ground before pursing her. Clarise took this opportunity to begin running, Mateo was just two blocks away, in a nearby small-shop that sold women's clothing. Although the ARC is arguably more humane than BEYOND, Clarise saw it in her best interest to stick with Mateo. 

There were two more ARC men in pursuit of her, Peter trailing not that far behind them. 

There was no way she could out run specially-trained military operatives, nor could she out skill them, but she could definitely outsmart them. Her movements, although a bit erratic, allowed for her to quickly slip out of every time they went to grab, taze, or tackle her. 

She's never felt more athletic, despite the fire burning her lungs. 

Soon she saw Mateo who was coming out of a store with a large bag. He was typing away on his phone, not noticing her until she completely body slammed him, the pair falling to the ground. 

"Whoa!" He broke her fall pretty well, quickly realize that his attacker was Clarise. "What's wrong? Why are you here?" He looked behind her, seeing the ARC soldiers who quickly surrounded the two. The two men had pulled out their guns on them, causing panic among the few bystanders who quickly fled the scene. 

Peter came up from the center, standing over Mateo who had held Clarise closely, getting to his feet in a defensive crouch. 

"Mateo Alaveraz, it's in your best interest that you hand over the girl." Peter held out his hand like Mateo could simply 'hand her over' but Mateo had only tightened his hold on Clarise, who had wrapped her arms around his neck. 

Throw your bag into the middle man's face, then go for the man on your right's  left knee. The man on your left will try to shoot you, but if you lunge slightly to your left you'll just be able to dodge the bullet and you can take out the man on the left as you please. Hop over me after I let go of your neck in 3 seconds. 

Her voice was so soft it was almost inaudible if her mouth wasn't directly next to his ear. Her breath slightly tickling the hairs on his neck. It was slightly hoarse, like she was really forcing her voice to be heard. 

Just as she instructed Mateo chucked the bag right into Peter's face who instinctively threw up his hands to catch it. Going for the man on his right, Mateo swiftly kicked his knee, and he buckled immediately, letting out a yelp of pain. An old injury that was just re-instated. 

Lunging a bit to his left, a gunshot went off and Mateo could almost feel the bullet fly over his back just before he pivoted, taking out the other gunman's legs, going over his body and landed a swift punch to his face, knocking him out. 

By this time Peter had recovered and turned to face Mateo, but by his mistake Clarise dove for his legs, buckling his knees so Mateo could swiftly knee him in the face. Instant knockout. 

Without Clarise's advice, this fight could have gone a bit awry, but luckily Mateo came out if this fight relatively unharmed. 

"Let's move," he quickly picked up his shopped bag, grabbing Clarise's hand and running across the street against the protests of oncoming traffic. 

Mateo had no idea who he just fought, he wasn't even aware of ARC's existence. BEYOND knew of their rival, government organization,  and of course would do everything in it's power to prevent ARC from getting ahold of their projects. Even if that means hiring untrustworthy mercenaries whose fighting abilities rival that of ARC operatives.