Chapter 8

Mateo quickly over took Clarise in running, practically dragging her behind him as he scanned for any sort of exit. She had lead them to the far left side of the courtyard, but this part has no entrances nor exits. It was just the lookover point for the higherups. Project Magma was unable to run while in that form, restricted to a light jog and the occasional burst of speed, but even then he could not catch up to Mateo.

What now? 

Wait 6 seconds, move three steps back. 

Mateo looked to Clarise for guidance, to which she began to take a few large steps back, their hands still entwined. Following her step for step, the glass overlook above them suddenly shattered, Mateo quickly tucking Clarise's head under his chest as glass rained in front of them. 

A loud scream followed by a chilling thud followed the glass. 

Peaking out from under his arms, Clarise saw a man in what was a suit. Instead of a tie, there were violent claw-like marks on his neck and chest, and instead of a face, all his features look like it had been torn off. 

What happened to him? 

Project Raptor and Project Golem have both escaped due to the fallen security system.

She didn't predict this, though the scientists tended to focus their questions on Project Magma. She had briefly mentioned these two projects, but it was something about them killing people. It wasn't note-worthy. 

What should we do now?! 

Have Mateo climb up there and hoist you up. 

Clarise pushed at Mateo's arms to release her, and pointed at the new opening that was on the second floor. Mateo following her finger and making contact with the opening. 

"You sure? Is it safe up there?" Mateo had mentally mapped out the pathway to reach the second floor, but he wasn't sure how Clarise was going to get up there with him. 

Yes, it is safe. 

Nodding, he took several steps back, once again mentally mapping a path and  then sprinting forward. Strategically kicking off a nearby tree and latching onto the ledge and shifting his way sideways, able to pull himself up through the broken window. Luckily it was safety glass as he put his bare arms all over the shards. 

"Come on!" He leaned partially over the edge, hooking his knee on the window frame so his whole body could be basically dangling off the edge. Clarise was definitely not as athletic as Mateo, and just watching him climb up to the second floor with ease made her stomach twist. 

"You!" 

Clarise spun around fast enough just to dodge Project Magma's hand, falling backwards in surprise. She could barely make out the fury on his face as he swooped down to touch her again which she crab-walked backwards to evade him. 

"Clarise!" Mateo began to panic, once again his mind racing to figure out how to help her. 

What do I do? 

Turn onto your hands and knees, get up and run forward. Just before you hit the wall, jump up and kick the wall to give yourself a boost. Make sure to grab onto Mateo's hands. 

Gathering her strength, she spun around, crawling forward, ignoring the scraping on her knees as she got to her feet, ignoring the fact she also scraped up the top of her feet in the process. 

Sprinting forward towards the wall she did just as she instructed, jumping and kicking off the wall, part of her toenails ripping partially from the force and angle she had her foot at. Mateo was quick to react, pushing forward and grabbing onto her forearm, pulling her up effortlessly. The pair fell onto the floor, where Mateo landed on his back and Clarise right on top of him, the top of her head knocking right into his jaw. 

This definitely hurt Clarise more than it hurt Mateo. 

The adrenaline still pumping into Clarise's veins allowed her to temporarily ignore the pain, but there was definitely a bump forming right on the top of her head.

"Let's move," Mateo gently moved her off of him, standing up and hoisting her to her feet. "You good?" 

Yes. 

"Okay, where to now?" He looked around, the floor was basically empty except for a few slumped-over bloodied bodies. The occasional scream could be heard in the distance. He also peeked over the window to see a trail of burned footprints entering the building from below. 

Head down the hall to the right, go until the 3rd meeting room. It is empty, but there is a window overlooking the cafeteria terrace.  

Nodding, he slipped out his handgun, holding out and ready as he began to walk forward. Clarise followed him closely, looking around curiously. Strangely the sight of dead people didn't churn her stomach. 

Opening the door of the meeting room, it revealed an absolute blood bath. All men in suits with their throats ripped out or faces bashed in. The door appeared virtually untouched despite the carnage it hid. Like whoever did this simply walked in, slaughtered the lot, and walked out. 

"Jesus Christ," Mateo's stomach twisted at the sight, but he quickly shook off his daze and ran to the window, seeing the drop down to the terrace. 

The cafeteria terrace overlooked the massive forest that surrounded this particular facility. The forest concealing the whole building and it's secrets. Many of BEYOND's facilities were in discreet locations like this one. All over the world held projects like Clarise, Project Magma, and the other monstrosities that were removed from the outside world. 

Just below the cafeteria is the employee parking lot, which is where Mateo's SUV is. 

Their escape.