Chapter 18

"So where are you taking us?" Mateo was sat between some of the ARC's men, right across from Clarise who was just staring back at him. A van came to pick them up, and it felt like they were being driven right out of the city.

Bruises were now visible all over his face, but none were too serious and he was still pretty recognizable. Clarise too was relatively unharmed, but her hand and feet felt like they were on fire again. Jabbing at that man's shoulder was like she jammed her fingers against a rock.

We are being taken to an ARC base just outside of the city. It will take roughly 43 minutes until we arrive. There you will be put into an interrogation room and I will be put in a containment room.

"That's classified information," Conrad sat beside Clarise, unaware that she just told Mateo everything. But he could hear the slightly pops her mouth made as she spoke, and he looked down to her.

Sensing all eyes on her she turned to face Conrad. He intrigued her, but not like Mateo. He appeared to reject the future she foretold. This had never happened. Every time she spoke of the future, whatever she said came to be. Except for times she was asked how to change it.

Conrad was an anomaly, and Clarise couldn't figure out why, not even when she asked herself.

They two seemed to be locked into an intense staring contest. Both trying to figure out the other.

Just observing Conrad at face value - literally - he seemed like a harden soldier, although only looked a few years older than Mateo. His light brown hair was shaven on the sides with the top being slightly longer. He had facial hair in a similar pattern to Mateo, though his was more clean cut and shaped, but like Mateo it didn't cover the strong facial structure he had. He was built like Mateo too, maybe slightly shorter, though it was hard to tell as both the men wore heavy combat boots.

He too is what you'd say is conventionally attraction, however he had a scar running from the edge of his jawline up along his hairline. It almost complimented his appearance.

Clearing his throat, Mateo got both of their attention, smiling awkwardly as everyone except Clarise glared at him, "Seeing how we could be in this enclosed space for a while, why don't we get to know one another. I'm Mateo."

Clarise was ever so slightly amused by him, but even she could tell this was neither the time nor place for this.

The van fell silent, no one saying anything for the longest time.

Their names are Jennifer Grant, Ian Bullocks, Conrad Carson, and Peter Trenton. The people beside you are Ethan O'Keith, Ben Charleson, and Evan Uleston. The men in front are Kevin Ming and Michal Fiends.

Smiling in appreciation, Mateo looked to Conrad, "So Mr. Carson, do you care to share with either of us what you plan to do?"

"How did you-" Jennifer spoke up, but was silenced as Conrad raised his hand to silence her.

"We were here to secure the Project and return you to wherever you came from." He seemed to pick up that she was feeding Mateo information, watching her from the corner of his eye. He couldn't read lips that well, especially from that angle, but it was obvious she was saying words.

So she must be a telepath or something, an ability that he's seen before, but it seems that she can't communicate via her mind, perhaps just receive the information.

So she was basically harmless.

Secure the Project? Clarise almost forgot what they have been calling her. A project. Her project name was one she always hated. It was like they were teasing her with it.

Speaking of which,

What are the other Projects doing?

They have just crossed the state boarder and are making a beeline towards facility 2290. They will reach the facility in 2 days, and proceed to break out the other Projects held there.

Will they be successful?

Yes, and there will be no injuries to any of the Projects.

Mateo furrowed his brow at Clarise. She appeared deep in thought like she was asking herself questions but her mouth wasn't moving anymore. Her files said that when she uses her gift on herself she always says it out loud, so she must just be day dreaming.

"Wait what is she doing?" Ethan spoke up, also noticing that she was in heavy concentration. None of her abilities have been confirmed, so all of them were on edge. Ethan was still gripping onto his shoulder, cursing the fact that he might have to go back to physical therapy.

All of the sudden all guns were pointed at her, except for Conrad's. He had his hands out to hold his team, understanding why they are so paranoid but he already deemed her safe.

"She's harmless!" Mateo shouted, "Her powers are only to answer questions."

Well that's one way to summarize her abilities. It made her sound exceptionally unexceptional. But it didn't seem to ease anyone's nerves.

"Just ask her questions?" Conrad's interest was piqued, but he was incredibly skeptical about her.

Mateo was hesitant for a moment, but Clarise nodded at him to continue.

"Yes, and she'll be able to answer anything you ask, even if it's about the future." Mateo kept his eyes on her and she on him. The two giving each other support.

Conrad wants to ask me something, what is it?

He wants to know where his little brother is.

Where is his little brother?

Clarise mouthed to Mateo, repeat after me.

Nodding her concentrated on her lips, taking in all the information.

"She knows that you are wondering about your younger brother, Reinhart John Carson."

Now everyone had settled, from a state of hostility to a state of confusion. It wasn't a secret amongst the team that Conrad's younger brother - who also works for the ARC - has been missing for about 2 weeks along with the rest of his team. No leads nor search teams could find them.

"What did you say?" Conrad looked to her, then back at Mateo.

Maybe she was more than a telepath.