2

Ben sat in the chair beside his daughter inside of the airport. He watched as she read her book. She was deeply into it. “What are you reading.” Ben asked.

“It’s called the darkest mind… It’s a sci-fi.” Jade replied pushing her glasses up.

“Right sci-fi.” Ben said smiling.

“When you come back home. We can rent the new stars wars movie that’s coming out in July since you are going to miss the premier in theaters.” Ben said and he watched as she put the book mark in her book and closed it cheesing.

“Aww thank you daddy. I would like that. Can we also rent the two before that.” Jade asked.

“You already seen those Jay.” Ben said confused.

“I know but we can make a whole night of them and watch the two leading up to the new one.” She responded smiling.

“Sure we can. Anything for you.” Ben said pulling her close into his side for a hug.

“I’m going to miss you Jay.” Ben said sadly. He never imagined being away from his little girl for so long. She was all he had.

“I’m going to miss you too old man.” Jade said laughing.

“Old.” Ben said clutching at his heart.” You wound me.”

“Oh I got you something.” Ben said going into his pocket.

Jade looked up at him and smiled before taking the box.

She opened it and smiled at the bracelet that had the dangling charm engraved as daddies little girl with her birthstone.  “Aww thank you daddy.” Jade said hugging him.

“Yeah I wanted to give it to you when you first got your uh uh- “ Ben stuttered scratching the back of his neck.

“ My cycle, period, courses. You are a physician dad you can say the word.” Jade said laughing.

“I’m sorry.” Ben said sheepishly. “Um speaking of your um cycle. Did you look at the stuff I bought for you for camp, just in case. I got the um orange over night ones and the small yellow ones and uh I also got the female wipes… I didn’t know if you preferred those versus just tissue and I uh-

“Did you get tampons.” She asked.

“Tamp- oh God you use –

“No dad I was just joking.” Jade said and she saw the look of relief on his face as she giggled.

“Yes, daddy those were the right kind and I appreciate everything. Thanks for going into the store for me and picking them out. You are the best dad any girl could ask for and thank you so much for the bracelet. I won’t ever take it off.” Jade said and she looked up as they called her gate number to board.

“Alright sweetie, your Aunt Rosalind will pick you up then drop you off at camp. Have her text me when you get there. Call or write me. When you are free. I love you Jay.”

“I will, I love you too. By dad.” Jade said as Ben kissed her on her forehead before watching her walk away with her suitcase.

Miranda pulled up in the airport parking lot and she looked at her daughter. “You ready Jasmine.” Miranda said with slight smile.

“I’m ready.” She said and got out of the car. Miranda went to the trunk and pulled out her luggage.

“Okay, I packed for you. A lot of hand sanitizer, wipes, disinfectant spray. Your own set of sheets and blankets, sanitary napkins. Your first aid kit is in there and remember if you get a cut or the ring worms or-.