Chapter 2 - Captivated

Stacey Frost woke up early. The sky showed no sign of light and everyone in her home was still fast asleep. It was Friday, and she was excited to meet her newly-made friends for the fifth time since she had transferred to Stoneville High. What excited her more was the school camp next week, and although it had taken some serious persuading to convince her guardians to let them go, her uncle had finally given in and allowed them to attend the school camp. The only condition was that she and her brother looked out for each other.

Stacey quickly got changed into her school uniform, which consisted of a white t-shirt, dark blue jumper and black pants. Most girls in year eight would wear the school's winter dress, but she preferred the other option of the school's pants over dresses or skirts. She rolled up her sleeves a bit, exposing part of her pale, skinny arms. Like her brother, she had the same light-blue eyes, but her long brown hair was naturally wavy instead of straight.

It was now the middle of winter, but she was used to the harsh cold. Unfortunately, it did not snow in Australia. She remembered snowy days back in Canada when she was only four years old, where snowmen and snowball fights were achievable. She sighed as she thought of the parents that she never really grew up with. Stacey, however, had one fond memory of her mother, and how she used to read her bedtime stories before she slept.

But that was in the past now, and there was nothing she could do to bring her parents back. Yet, if she ever got the chance, she would track down 'OrdeR' and avenge her mother and father. But that was just wishful thinking. Ever since that day they had moved to Stoneville, she still kept thinking about what Aunt Yvonne had said. Was it all true? Did her parents really possess supernatural powers?

Not wanting to wake anyone up, she tiptoed silently to the kitchen, where the only sound that could be heard was the constant humming of the fridge. She nimbly made her way to the pantry and found her favourite box of cereal. Guess I'll be eating breakfast by myself today.

❄ ❄ ❄

Thunder boomed across the gloomy sky, followed by the heavy pattering of rain. Stacey saw her two friends flinch from the sudden noise and could feel a laugh coming up. She held a hand to her mouth to suppress her laughter.

"Just great, my hair's going to be ruined now," Hailey Lindsey groaned as she walked with her class towards the school gym.

"Be thankful that our sports teacher is letting us play inside. A bit of rain on the way there won't kill you, princess," Chloe Walker said teasingly, only to get a dirty look from Hailey.

Stacey marched up in between her two friends and placed both arms around their shoulders. "Calm down both of you, it's going to be my first physical education class, so don't ruin it for me."

"I seriously don't see what's so fun about getting all tired and sweaty just to chase a ball. I think I'll pretend to be injured again and maybe the coach will let me sit out." Hailey replied with a smirk.

Hailey was Stacey's first friend at Stoneville High, and even though they had different interests and hobbies, they had become friends quickly. Some of her lengthy red hair was neatly braided, and it somehow went well with her big brown eyes and freckled, white skin. Simply put, Hailey was very attractive and it sometimes made her feel envious.

"Hailey, we all know that you only want to sit out so that you can watch the boys playing sport," Chloe accused and rolled her green eyes.

Chloe was also a good friend of Stacey's, and the three of them were all in class 8C. Chloe had her brown hair tied up in a ponytail, but her best physical feature was her olive complexion. Stacey had considered getting a tan by sunbathing at one of the nearby Australian beaches, but Aunt Yvonne told her that she would only get a sunburn.