Chapter 8 - Imprisoned

Thursday morning was slow and Stacey could not help yawning throughout English class. The last three days of camp had been incredibly fun but exhausting. Somehow, returning to school the very next day just did not seem right and only half of the junior students had attended school. She was amongst the unlucky half, as Aunt Yvonne would not accept 'I'm too tired' as a legitimate excuse for taking the day off.

Stacey tried to keep her eyes on the teacher, who was writing some instructions on the board. But her eyelids felt heavy and with a groan, she slowly lowered her head and rested it on her desk whilst using her arms for support. She closed her eyes and the noise around her dulled as her mind drifted back to the night before, where her uncle and aunt had told her about her powers and the history of the Keepers of Ice.

"The Keepers of Ice were once a large group of humans who had the ability to manipulate ice in many ways. The offspring of such a group sometimes developed similar abilities to yours." Aunt Yvonne paused. "Although it is still unknown to us how such powers were developed, your parents were thought to be the last survivors."

"What happened to the rest?" Stacey asked as she took another bite out of her aunt's delicious cookies.

"We're getting to that part. Be patient, please." Aunt Yvonne scolded with a smile. "The Keepers of Ice were not originally from this world. They were from another world completely. Your ancestors decided to leave their world and live in secret in ours. However, a dangerous organisation known as Order started assassinating and killing off the Frost family one by one until it was just your parents. Your parents were a smart couple, but even they couldn't escape Order forever."

"Are there any other Keepers left?" David asked.

Uncle William shook his head. "I'm afraid you two are the very last. Unless..." He cleared his throat. "Regardless, we will protect and train you. And hopefully one day, you will be able to defend yourselves in the case that they do find you."

"Stace, wake up," Hailey whispered as she nudged her friend.

Stacey jumped in her seat. "Huh, what?"

"You fell asleep in class," Hailey smirked at her.

"No, I didn't. I was just thinking." Stacey frowned. "To be honest I'm still really tired from camp."

"Stacey and Hailey. Would you both like to share what you were discussing with the class?" Miss Bryce said sternly.

"Sorry miss. We'll stop talking and pay attention like we are supposed to because English is so interesting." Hailey answered sarcastically.

Miss Bryce raised an eyebrow at Hailey but continued to teach. "Okay class, as I was saying, the assignment is due next Monday. If there are any questions, feel free to ask me before the weekend."

Stacey was grateful, but she wondered how Hailey was always able to get away with her sarcastic remarks. Does she bribe them or something? She shrugged. Hailey was Hailey. She could get away with anything.

❄ ❄ ❄

"Ugh, I cannot believe something this horrible would happen to me!" Hailey wailed.

"What happened?" Stacey asked as she took a bite from her sandwich.

Hailey inspected her red hair with shock. "I have split ends. This is terrible!"

Chloe and Stacey exchanged looks. "Oh my gosh, will you just chill? It's not the end of the world or anything close so stop overreacting," Chloe stated with exasperation.