Chapter 15 - Succumbed

A swordsman kept swinging wild attacks in his direction. Following the slashing blade with his eyes, David carefully deflected and dodged each blow with his shield. The clanging noise was starting to get on his nerves, but he needed to wait for the right moment to strike. After blocking a few more hits, he sensed his opponent tiring as his attacks started to falter. Here's my chance! Using his right arm, he brought his axe back for momentum and swung at the right moment.

His axe smashed into his opponent's sword with such force that it was knocked out of his hands as it clattered noisily onto the metal floor. David gave his powerless foe a smirk and he ran away in fear. "You better run!" he called out triumphantly.

"David, we could use some help over here!" Stone said as he and a few other glacial keepers worked hard to push through the enemy lines inside Order's eastern base.

"On my way." His arms were aching from carrying his heavy shield and axe for so long. So, he decided to rest them on the ground before he sprinted towards Stone, allowing his body to be protected by a layer of ice. There were about five enemy soldiers facing the other glacial keepers now, and they were slowly pushing back his team. David considered his options but figured that throwing ice shards would not do much against five targets. Instead, he concentrated on his surroundings and took a defensive stance. He lifted his right leg slowly and suddenly slammed it into the ground in front of him, concentrating his energy onto that stomp. A row of sharp ice structures broke out from the ground towards them, separating his team from the enemy.

"Gah!" one of yelled from shock. When they had recovered, the five soldiers shot him dirty looks.

"Attack!" Stone shouted and reached out his hand. Together, the Glacial Keepers shot countless ice shards at their enemies from across the jagged ice wall. The five soldiers dropped their weapons and ran for cover. Some of them were not so lucky and a few shards pierced into their clothing and skin.

David wondered why they never wore any real protective armour. It was not like they had any superpowers. Still, he had learned not to underestimate them. After all, these monsters had murdered his parents and kidnapped his friends and family just to lure them to this world.

❄ ❄ ❄

When Order's eastern bunker had fallen into the hands of the Keepers of Ice within what felt like an hour, Matthew and two other glacial keepers began locking the unconscious enemy soldiers in prison cells that they had discovered underground. They were glad that starved victims or dead prisoners did not already occupy the cells. David met Stone waiting outside the bunker by himself in the cold. Team Alpha's leader was staring intently into the distance.

"Hey." David stood awkwardly beside him.

"You did well today, David."

"Um, thanks." David was about to ask something when Stone cleared his throat.

"Do you see that? There's a figure in the distance, running towards us."

David followed Stone's gaze. "I don't see anyone. It's hard to see through the snowstorm."

Stone frowned. "Keep looking."

David nodded and peered further into the distance. He could now make out a blurry figure fighting their way through the snow and storm. "Who's that?"

As the mysterious person got closer, Stone's eyes lit up. "Tara... that's Tara!"

"Who?" As she came into view, David noticed a young but athletic woman who he recognised as one of the blizzard keepers. Her short brown hair that naturally curled at the ends were flying in all directions.