Chapter 6 - Resisted

Her heart was pounding wildly. Thinking about her powers was making her feel anxious and she felt that she should tell someone about it. Even though he was the last person she wanted to talk to, Stacey knew that she had to tell her brother eventually. But the idea of suddenly walking up to her only sibling and telling him "I think I've developed supernatural powers" would make her look insane. Then again, maybe she already was.

"Would you look at that, the sun is starting to set," Chloe noted with admiration, her eyes observing the horizon.

Hailey's eyes widened. "Well, that's no good! Dinner's in an hour and I need to take a shower before we head to the mess hall!" she shrieked.

Chloe sighed. "What's the rush? One hour is more than enough time to take a shower, Hailey."

"Yeah, but I also need to put on makeup, style my hair and decide what to wear. That takes time too you know!"

"Hailey Elizabeth Lindsey, it's dinner, not a freaking wedding!" Chloe exclaimed with disbelief.

Stacey was smiling uncontrollably. Watching her two best friends argue over Hailey's petty intentions always cheered her up. For some reason, they had not brought up the topic of her powers since yesterday and she was grateful for it. Although, she wondered if it was because they were afraid of her. What if they think I'm a freak? She shook her head and tried to clear her mind.

"Chloe, I'm sure you know by now that Hailey's ultimate goal is to make every single guy fall for her," she teased playfully, which earned her an eye-roll from Chloe.

"That's not completely true!" Hailey's cheeks reddened. "I only care about the cute ones."

Stacey and Chloe roared with laughter, and Hailey could not help but smile. "Um, I'll catch up with you two later. I'm going to find my brother... I need to talk to him about something." Stacey hugged them both and began walking towards the boy's cabins.

❄ ❄ ❄

Finding her brother was the easy part. She spotted him hanging around the Cinna cabins, chatting with a girl that had long black hair and tanned skin. Stacey raised an eyebrow whilst the gears in her brain turned. Since when did my brother start talking to girls?

She approached them casually. David and the girl immediately stopped talking and turned to look at her. Now that she had a better view, Stacey quickly studied the mysterious female. She was Asian and wore a pink cardigan over a white singlet, which somehow matched her black-coloured skinny jeans.

Stacey took a deep breath and offered them her friendliest smile. "Hey, I'm David's sister, Stacey." She extended a hand towards the girl. One thing that Hailey had taught her was to make a good first impression with people.

"Hi, I'm Estella, but most people just call me Ella." Estella shook Stacey's hand and returned a genuine smile.

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything, but I kind of need to discuss something with David. In private, please."

"Oh sure, no worries at all," Estella replied.

Stacey nodded at David and began walking in a random direction. Her brother raised an eyebrow but followed her nonetheless. When she turned and saw that Estella was now a small figure in the distance, she made eye contact with her brother and decided that it was time.

"David, I feel like I need to tell you something... strange things are happening to me and I was hoping you'll know what to do." She paused for a second. "But I'm not really sure how to start."