Chapter three: "So happy together"

Words count: 16 K

Warnings: All the Criminal Minds case dark shit we love. Cursing, as always. Spoilers of Criminal Minds season 2. Mention of cases: The Fisher King (Season 1, E22 - Season 2, E01). Alcohol consumption. Mention of drug use. Spencer acting his age, finally! 

Summary: Reader is slowly showing a little bit of herself to the team. Spencer meets (Y/N)'s friends and starts acting his age, which is something maybe Gideon wouldn't like as much as you might imagine. 

A/N: Hi!! Thank you for reading! I love this chapter 'cos baby Spencer gives me joy 💜 Also, what do you think of Paul? See you in the comments! 

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

(Y/N)'s point of view

When did I become closer to the rest of my colleagues? When Elle got shot, and we were stuck with a case we couldn't solve.

It was the first time an unsub had all of our information. He knew our addresses, hobbies, and phone numbers. We were all scared something terrible would happen to anyone else on the team like it had occurred with Elle.

It was June 2006. The guys had finally taken their vacations when it all started. It was just Garcia, JJ, and me in the bullpen. I had been only seven months on the team, not long enough to have some time off, but I didn't really bother. It was fun being there with the girls, catching up with the paperwork, talking, and eating cookies. We didn't have much time to have fun at work, and we enjoyed it.

That until a psycho killer targeted the team as their victims.

After nearly one day off, everybody was back in Quantico, and the quest to catch that asshole began. The whole team was involved somehow: Gideon had gotten a human head delivered to his secret cabin as a warning. Aaron got a call to his house with a riddle, and then a packet was delivered to his wife. JJ got a weird butterfly with a clue. Reid received a key in Las Vegas when he was visiting his mom, 'cos the unsub knew where he would be that day. I got my favorite book with another riddle on it. And Elle was nearly framed for murder in Jamaica, where she was spending a few days off with Derek. The weirdest part of it was that the head Gideon got came from the dead body found in Elle's room.

It was sick.

I think Penelope had it worst. The unsub hacked her. That's how he got all of our personal information. When she explained what had happened, Gideon insulted her in front of everybody. For the first time since I got to the BAU, he really lost it with one of us, and she was his target. It was brutal. He blamed her for failing to keep his privacy, for putting the team at risk. He made her cry in front of everybody in the briefing room, and I had to close my eyes and bite my tongue so I wouldn't snap in front of him and ask him to be, at least for once, a little bit more human.

Garcia was apologizing, and he was sweeping the floor with her. I felt Morgan's eyes on me and looked at him. He was infuriated but still managed not to hit Gideon. However, I could read him easily: he was about to jump on him and break his jaw any minute. We both looked at each other for a few seconds until Gideon shut up, and we were able to refocus on the unsub.

I made the most significant effort to deliver my best in that case. We had a crazy unsub trying to kill us, a missing kid, Elle in surgery, and the rest of the team freaked out. Reid and I worked decoding the riddles and found a book that gave us more clues. At least I felt useful. The stress we were under was so big; I was sure Gideon would yell at all of us if we made any mistake. And the way he looked at Penelope each time they were in front of each other made it worse.