||Doll||

"Rose, hold this will you? I'm going to see if Frank has any more strawberries."

I gave a half-hearted mumble and took the basket of eggs in my small hands.

She gave me a light squeeze on my shoulder, subtly reminding me to stay put and not wander off in the small crowd that had gathered nearby.

A relieved breath passed my lips as she left me on my lonesome, and I leaned against the wooden frame of a flower stand that was slightly off to the side in the bustling market.

This was my first time out of the house in two days. Two days since mama's looked me in the eyes, two days since I've had my freedom, two days since I've heard his voice.

I started to think that I imagined it, after I called out to him again and he didn't respond. That warmth and presence I felt only lasted for an instant. I felt robbed, only given a taste of this sweet ambrosia; just enough to tease my lips but not enough to savour it.

I remember staring at my ceiling for a while after that, completely and utterly exhausted after my desperate pursuits. I tried to reach him again the following night but to no avail. Then once more at the next moon rise; nothing.

I was starting to look forward to the lunch tomorrow. Mama hasn't figured out a way around it, and I found myself relived at the fact. While the Royals might be expecting me to join with their youngest son, I was more concerned about their eldest.

Hopefully I would be able to slip away when no ones looking and find Azrael.

He would have all the answers. He would make things right.

I didn't want to admit it but a small part of me hoped that he would decide to keep me there with him. I loved mama, really. But finding my mate then being forced apart from him is worse then not knowing who he is at all.

"Rose? Is that you?"

My head turned to the right to see Freya walking towards me, appearing as if she wasn't sure it was me.

I wasn't surprised; I wouldn't recognize me either.

My hair was thrown up in a messy bun of unruly curls and I was clad in one of my older, dreary frocks that washed out my skin tone.

"Hi" I murmured shyly, a bit embarrassed that she was seeing me so disheveled.

"Rose, I haven't seen you in days. Your mother said you came down with a bug, are you feeling better?"

Her words made me pause.

A bug? Mama told her I was sick?

I swallowed and nodded after taking a moment to process.

"Y-yeah...yeah I'm doing much better. Um...how have you been?"

I pulled at a loose straw from the basket as she looked at me in concern.

Her blue eyes scanned my face and she placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Forget about me. Are you sure there isn't anything else bothering you? You seem..."

Empty, lonely, trapped