Part 13

It didn't surprise you that all of your belongings fit into Cliff's SUV. Your clothes had been thrown into trash bags, your books and other items went into the boxes Jensen had insisted on picking up on your way over.

He tried to help as much as possible, but it had to be awkward for him. You had sent him to the kitchen, hoping that packing up the small number of plates and cups you had would be the easiest and less awkward.

"I can't believe we finished it tonight," he muttered, staring at your empty apartment. Sure, there was the second-hand couch, the end table beside it. Those had come with the apartment, and you were leaving them behind, along with the creaky iron bed. "All of your stuff fit into his SUV."

"Makes me realize how little stuff I have in my life," you grumbled, hoping that he wasn't judging you for this.

"There's more to life than things," he answered as you closed the door on your apartment. Taking the key, you slipped it into your landlord's mailbox, surprised at how relieved you felt to be leaving that horrid place behind. Hopefully, things were starting to look up.

"Stop for food on the way home?" Jensen asked, settling into the driver seat. Your previous life seemed to slip away as your old apartment grew smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror before disappearing from view. "Or we can have pizza delivered."

"That sounds fin,e" you agreed, but your mind was elsewhere. You couldn't help but think about how much your life had changed in such a short period of time. How things were moving faster than you could imagine, and you weren't sure how much more you could handle.

"You're awfully quiet." Jensen had the radio turned on softly, tapping the steering wheel as he handled the Vancouver roads with ease.

"Just feel like I'm saying goodbye to my old life," you admitted. "It's a little nervewracking."

"I could see that," he glanced over at you quickly before turning his attention back to the road. "But things are looking up. Aren't they?"

You started to answer when your phone rang. It was your brother, and you quickly answered. "Hey, Luke!" You exclaimed, not missing the glance Jensen set your way. "How are you?"

You listened to your brother talk about school as the Vancouver cityscape flew by. He seemed extremely upset about something, but you could hardly understand him.

"Woah, slow down," you insisted. "Tell me again."

This time your brother slowed down, his words laced with so much emotion that it was still hard to understand. "You're saying what?"

You stayed quiet as he continued to explain his predicament. It of course had to do with your aunt and uncle, and how they were treating him. Your heart broke that he was going through all of this. You didn't even realize tears were slipping down your face until Jensen reached over, brushing one away, his face full of concern.

"Listen, Buddy, I know this is asking a lot. But just hang in a little bit longer. I have a plan, but we can't do anything rash. Just stay quiet, and hopefully, soon you'll be with me. And then we'll be happy. Okay?"

Your words did little to appease him. Both of you knew that it was going to be a long hard road before your Aunt and Uncle gave up custody, and the money they received through it. They would fight, not because they love Luke, but because they loved the money even more.

"What's going on?" Jensen asked as soon as you hung up the phone.

"Just stupid family drama," you muttered. "They're being absolutely horrible to him, and he doesn't want to take it any longer. And he shouldn't. I just wish...,"

"We're working on it as fast as we can," Jensen assured you, just as he pulled into the parking garage of his upscale apartment. "Grab what you can. Whatever else I can ask one of the security men to help with later."

You picked up the bags holding your clothes and followed behind Jensen into a large entryway. The floors were polished marble, the walls a luxurious shade of blue. A security guard stood at each entrance, watching as people made their way inside. Two elevators with gold trim were at the far wall, and that's where Jensen headed.

An older man ran the elevator, smiling at Jensen, pressing a floor number without even asking. "Hi Jeff," Jensen greeted the man. "This is Y/N, my fiancee. She's moving in."

"Bout dang time you've found yourself a new girl," the man exclaimed. "Nice to meet you. You need anything around here, just let me know."

"Jeff runs the place," Jensen winked. "We'll be ordering pizza soon."

"I'll let the security guys know."

His room was on one of the top floors, a penthouse in the impressive apartment building. Pushing open a heavy oak door, Jensen stepped to the side, letting you enter before him. His place was large, but not overwhelming. Gleaming hardwood floors with plush cream rugs. Light blue, almost white walls were decorated with tasteful artwork along with photographs. Some of him and Jared, some of his family. Many were landscapes, beautiful pictures.

One wall of his apartment was nothing but windows. Some heavy blinds already pulled down, others open to show the twinkling lights of the city surrounding the building. A small patio held a bench and table.

The kitchen was all gleaming marble, and grey cabinets with state-of-the-art appliances. Your apartment could have fit inside the kitchen. Past the kitchen was the hallway that led to the bedrooms. "What do you think?" He asked, dropping your bags beside the couch, sitting down with a sigh.

"This place is beautiful," you answered honestly. "I never imagined living in a place like this. Ever. I don't know how I'm ever going to repay you."

"You don't," he assured you, pulling you down to sit beside him on the couch. "You're helping me as much as I'm helping you. And I have something I want to show you. But first, let's order food."

He held out his phone. "You pick the pizza, I'll be right back."

You weren't exactly sure what he would like, so you ordered two different types. His card was on file, and you clicked pay. Sitting on the couch was like sitting on clouds. The leather was so buttery soft, the cushion so plush you could almost sink into it. You could imagine wrapping up in a blanket, cuddling down to binge-watch TV.

"Got it!" Jensen exclaimed, holding up a file in his hand, a huge smile on his face. "Did you get dinner on the way?"

"I did," you answered. "And I hope they don't take too long. I'm starving."

He sank down again on the couch beside you, holding tightly to the envelope. "So after we talked in Texas, I couldn't stop thinking about your situation with your brother. I hated feeling helpless. So I pulled some strings, got a hold of a great lawyer. Paperwork is already being filed."

You couldn't believe it. When you had talked to Luke earlier, you had envisioned months before you could get anywhere. And yet here was Jensen, handing you the moon. He held the file towards you, expecting you to take it and glance through. However, your excitement had you throwing your arms around him, pulling him to you for a kiss.