Chapter 3

You were torn. Sure, you trusted Ruth, and wanted her opinion. But this was still something new, and secretive. If you told her, and it leaked out, what would that mean for you?

"Can we just go shopping?" You offered a weak smile. She nodded, and you were relieved when she dropped the subject.

Twenty minutes later Ruth was pulling in front of this nondescript brick building. The long windows were filled with various mannequins, all dressed in vintage and funky clothing. The parking lot had only two other cars in it, and you turned to Ruth with a questioning eye.

"I promise, it looks better on the inside," she promised, dragging you inside. Immediately bypassing the cheap t-shirts and jeans, she headed to the corner of the store. You followed closely behind, glancing at the clothes, amazed at the selection. Sure, there were the usual ripped t-shirts and stained jeans. But the majority of the clothes were well cared for. Many were items you wanted to purchase and wear to work.

"Here we are," Ruth announced, sweeping her hand out. The back corner of the store seemed to be a store in its own. An archway covered in fairy lights set the area away from the rest. Inside were rows of dresses, skirts, and blouses. Shoes and jewelry were craftily arranged on the other side.

"What is this place?" You asked, gently running a silky sleeve through your hand, gasping at the price tag. "This is only twelve dollars!"

Ruth smiled knowingly, plucking a green jumpsuit from the rack and holding it in front of her. "This is the best-kept secret in Vancouver. A wardrobe lady told me about it, and I make sure to stop by at least once a week when I'm up here."

You were mesmerized by the selection, but Ruth was on a mission. "I know you said it's strictly business, but it is with Jensen. That man always shows up in his best, and no doubt expects you to as well. We need to stun the man."

She had a pile of clothes in her hand before you even had one picked, ushering you to the dressing room. "Here, try these on." She insisted.

The first thing she had picked out was a skirt and matching top, both a slinky, silver. They were soft against your skin but seemed more suited for the club than a dinner. Tossing them to the side, you pulled out the next dress. It was short, barely mid-thigh, a straight cut of turquoise. It was pretty, but as you stepped out to show Ruth, you kept tugging on the hem, trying to lower it.

"Hmm, not yet," she muttered, ushering you back into the room.

The third dress was more of a sundress. It was strapless, with a tight bodice and a skirt that flared slightly all the way to your knees. It was a shimmery blue that changed to purple or silver with your movements. It was elegant without being too much.

You stepped out in front of the mirror and immediately Ruth clapped her hands together. "I knew that one would be perfect. Absolutely stunning my dear."

Taking a deep breath, you glanced down at the sales tag. "It's only $30!" You exclaimed. With that price, you could get shoes and maybe even a necklace.

She nodded knowingly. "Come, let's find some shoes."

An hour later you were back at your apartment, your purchases placed carefully on your bed, waiting for you to get dressed. You had taken a shower and was currently in the middle of applying makeup when your phone rang.

Hello?" You answered, placing the phone on speaker.

"Y/N!" Your brother, Luke, exclaimed.

"Hey Luke," You sighed, almost messing up your mascara as you smiled at the sound of his voice. "What's up? You never call on Fridays."

"I miss you," he whispered, breaking your heart.

Setting your makeup down, you put all of your concentration on the phone call. "Luke, I miss you too buddy."

His bubbly little voice had you homesick. "They've been so mean to me," he continued to whisper. "Y/N, they won't let me play baseball this year. They said it was too expensive. But they let Emily do ballet, and that cost more."

"You know our Aunt and Uncle are doing the best they can," You tried assuring him. "And I'm sure there's another reason...,"

"I want to come live with you!" He insisted. "When Y/N? You promised!"

"Soon buddy, I promise," you assured him, knowing that with the check from this fake engagement you were no longer lying. It was so close to becoming a reality. "I just need to save up a little more, and then I can fight our aunt and uncle for your guardianship."

"I can't wait," he sighed.

As much as you wanted to continue talking to your brother, you were already running behind schedule. "Talk tomorrow?" You offered.

After a half-hearted okay, you hung up, a tear slipping down your cheek. It was so hard, being separated from your little brother after your parents had died. But soon, maybe all of that would change. As soon as this fake engagement was over at least.

Taking a deep breath you finished your makeup, changing into that perfect little dress, and the heels that Ruth had found. Making your way to the parking lot, you knew your little ford escort would look so out of place at that fancy restaurant. Which is exactly how you had a feeling you would feel.

Forcing yourself to move forward, you settled in behind the wheel, heading towards the coast. You turned the music up loud, singing along as you fought rush hour traffic. Swerving in and out of the slow-moving vehicles, you finally snitched a parking spot off to the side with two minutes to spare.

The place was already packed. Smoothing down your skirt as you moved, you stepped up to the hostess. "Reservation for Jensen Ackles," you announced. Her eyes widened, staring at you in surprise before pointing to the back.

"You're here...with..," she stuttered, stepping aside so you could pass. Smiling at her, you headed to his secluded table. He was staring down at the menu, his thumb rubbing up and down the neck of a beer bottle.

He had dressed up nicely, just as Ruth had said he would. A black button-up underneath a grey sports suit. He looked extremely handsome, and you stopped in your tracks, wondering what the hell you were doing. There was no way anyone would believe that this man would be madly in love with a girl like you.