decisions, decisions (MGG)

summary: Matthew takes reader out for a fancy dinner, and the two make the most of their evening together.

pairing: Fem!Reader/Matthew

content warnings: none! short but sweet.

I swipe the glossy red shade over my lower lip, touching up my makeup before we head out tonight. despite the fact that we've been dating for a few months now, the idea of Matthew taking me out to eat– really taking me out– is making me positively giddy.

capping the tube and doing a quick once-over in the mirror, I admire the dress I'm wearing. it's new, something I may or may not have splurged on after work today. it's a creamy, inky shade, the color of pitch with an open back that I would normally never deign to wear. but something about it, the way the fabric sits against my shoulder blades, makes me confident.

after fluffing up my hair a little, I move into the living room to join my boyfriend. he's fixing one of his monogrammed cuff links, and he looks up at the sound of my footsteps.

his eyes run over me, the bloom of my mouth and the dress, and he smiles dreamily, not saying anything. my stomach is overflowing with butterflies as I look at him in his suit, so well-dressed. we stare at each other for a moment.

"so?" I grin, walking over to him and running my hands up his chest. "how do I look?"

"you..." his gaze flickers to my pout, then my form. "you're an angel."

I reach up and am about to kiss his cheek when I remember that I've got lipstick on. "I'll kiss you later."

"that's fine," he sighs, then takes my hand and spins me around in front of him. "I'm still in shock from how beautiful you are!" he says the last few words in his stupid monster voice, reaching out and tickling my sides while he pulls me into him.

"Matthew!" I squeal, trying to breathe through the laughter. he knows I'm especially ticklish. once he finally relents, I look up at him with a huge smile on my face. sometimes I feel like I'm dreaming with him.

"we're gonna be late, baby." he tugs on my earlobe playfully before taking my hand again and leading me into the entryway so we can put our coats on. winter is just starting, dusting the sidewalks with fluffy snow and blowing wind in our faces as we start walking to the car. he holds the door open, as usual, and before long, we're off to the restaurant.

even though Matthew is a bit of a reckless driver, I trust him. I've never told him this, but I love the way he places his hand on the back of my seat and turns around to assess the road behind him before he pulls out. something about it makes my blood warm up. he catches me looking, smiles and asks if I'm okay.

I'm fucking fabulous.

the restaurant is way fancier than I even imagined: cavernous ceilings that drip with chandeliers and walls covered in expensive-looking art. velvet curtains cover the windows, creating a wine-red ambiance of jazz and gentle conversation.

I must look dumb just staring at everything, but Matthew goes to the maitre d' and gets our reservation ready. we never go on dates this fancy; most of the time, we stay in and binge watch old movies or play board games or just talk. he said he wanted to treat me, though, so I'm more than happy to go along with it.

part of me feels slightly out-of-place as the host leads us to a secluded table, walking past rich-looking couples or groups of people who appear to be socialites. as much as I wish I could blend in with this crowd, I keep worrying that I'm going to trip or somehow break something. elegant situations tend to make me especially clumsy.

once we're seated and handed our menus, the host leaves us to talk.

"wow." my eyebrows raise as I check out the options. Matthew looks up.