*playing with fire (Spencer Reid)*

summary: Spencer and Reader don't get along at work, but when they have to pick up a book from Spencer's apartment for a case and Reader won't leave his trinkets alone, things get messy.

pairing: Fem!Reader x Spencer Reid

category: smut and some angst!

content warnings/includes: unprotected penetrative sex (wrap it before you tap it, please!), fingering, dirty talk, argument, praise, discussion of murder/description of a dead body, choking (not really; more like hand lightly around the throat), use of pet names (sweetheart, baby); Spencer is kind of dominant in this and there's some conflict but nothing serious. let me know if there's anything else to add!

I flip through the open file at my desk, waiting for Penelope to get back from her lair. it's strange being first in the conference room. Hotch is finishing something in his office, JJ had to make a call, and the others are on their way into work. I'm all alone, and I don't mind.

my eyes scan over the details of the case while I wait and snack on my apple. it's a case in DC, so at least we don't need to use the jet. I hear the door open and, without looking up, start talking to Penelope.

"did you bring me a coffee?" I joke.

"why would I bring you a coffee?" the sound of Spencer's voice makes me jolt so hard, I drop the papers. he's standing in the threshold of the conference room with a mug, stirring his drink.

the moderately bubbly feeling from before disappears at the sight of him.

Spencer and I don't like each other very much. ever since I joined the team a while back, he's been nothing short of a snob. I don't know what his problem is, but he avoids me at every turn and ignores my input during case briefings– or he corrects me with some of the useless information he's got stored in that pretentious brain of his.

"I thought you were Pen." I shrug and turn my eyes back to the papers. there's an awkward silence as he pulls out a chair across from me and sits down. he doesn't have anything to look at because Garcia has all the folders with her, so his eyes move about the room before settling on me.

"can I see?" he asks.

I glance up cautiously. Reid's hair is messier than usual today, all curls and stubble. his eyes are tired, swimming with an irritation that only makes me want to frustrate him more with my sing-song voice. "no."

"what?"

I crunch into my apple. "just wait until Pen gets here."

Spencer rolls his eyes and leans back in the chair, scoffing. I can feel the hostility radiating off of him as he mutters under his breath. he's incredulous.

"what's wrong with you?" I ask. it's hard to keep from smirking at the way it gets under his skin. I'm only playing, but he gets riled up.

"me? what's wrong with you?" his voice goes to a slightly higher pitch, like he can't believe me. and admittedly, I'm acting a little juvenile– but only because he's usually pretty rude and I would like to inconvenience him.

"nothing's wrong with me," I shrug, flipping the thing shut and leaning my elbows on the table with a pleasant smile. "I'm a delight."

Spencer suddenly reaches over to snag it, but I'm quicker and slap my hand down on top.

"you're done reading!" he complains like a child. I'm about to protest when Penelope wanders into the room with a stack of files. Spencer's fingers are still pressed to the folder while he tries to slide it over to himself. I glare back. now that he wants it, I do, too.