Chapter Five 6th April 2005.

"Alright, so you are definitely confident enough to be left alone with the children and Noah?" Bonnie asks worryingly.

Nathaniel produces a pearly smile, "Yes, yes. It's fine, we'll be fine this is what I'm here for," he assures her, as they walk towards the front door of the house.

Bonnie pulls the strap of her brown handbag up her arm, "You have my number, in case anything happens... and my work number".

"I'll make sure to call it, but honestly, it's all ok," he reassures her, as she grabs the doorknob to the front door.

She turns and looks him in the eye, "You keep those children safe... they're all that I have of Aaliyah," she says sadly.

He softens his approach, relaxing his shoulders; "I promise you; nothing will happen to them while I'm here, it's why I'm here. Have the police said anything about their parents? Suspects? Anything?".

She shakes her head, "No," her voice breaks as she looks down for a brief moment. Her breathing hitches, she gasps a little for breath. Nathaniel rubs her on the back, "It's going to be ok".

"The police said they're keeping an eye on the house," Bonnie informs, a couple of tears drips down her cheeks.

"It's going to be ok Bonnie; see you even know it yourself. You said the police are watching the premises, so it's going to be ok. Honestly," he comforts. She nods, brushing away her tears with the back of her hand.

"You're right... I'm sorry about that. I'm so embarrassed," she chokes.

"Don't be, it's perfectly alright," he assures.

Bonnie nods and exhales slowly, "Alright then, I'm off and remember-".

"To call you if anything happens," he finishes, cutting her off. She smiles and turns the doorknob, opening the door.

"Alright, goodbye now," she calls, walking out of the front door and out onto the cobbled path. Nathaniel watches as Bonnie walks down the path, her light blue uniform dress flutters from the breeze. She slows her pace as she nears her small red car, turning back to glance at him. Nathaniel waves to her, she smiles weakly; turning back to unlock her car. He looks past her, to the police car parked up across the road from them. The officers sit in the front, chatting away to one another. Nathaniel can barely make out the triangular sandwich in one of their hands. He sniffs and closes the door; the door clicks as he turns the lock.

Nathaniel lets out a deep breath, the past two days were a little awkward. Settling into the place hadn't been easy, Nathaniel isn't used to space. For most of his life, he's stayed in his uncle's tiny bedroom and when that had gotten too much, he travelled around and around. Going from one part-time work to another, without much thought.

He strides into the hallway, wondering around until he finds the hallway leading to the kitchen.

Thump-thump-thump.

Nathaniel listens out as a small thumping sound echoes throughout the hallway. He walks in its direction, listening as it grows louder.

Thump-thump, thump-thump, thump.

Nathaniel listens as each thump rings out, Nathaniel turns the corner, peering into the open kitchen door. A basketball dribbles on the ground, he watches as it bounces against the ground.

"Do you want to play outside?" Nathaniel asks. Eric jumps in surprise and picks up the now rolling basketball off the kitchen floor.

"No, I want to play on my own" Eric replies, bouncing the ball against the floor.

Nathaniel raises his hands in surrender, "Alright, but if you do want to play just let me know because it'll be a lot of fun".

"Ok," Eric mumbles, as he hugs the ball to his belly.