Chapter Nineteen 20th April 2005.

"Would you like a brew lovey?" Bonnie asks merrily. Nathaniel looks up from platting Evelyn's hair, Bonnie stands tall in front of him, as he shifts his weight on the living room floor.

"Please, if you don't mind," he answers.

She waves his politeness off, "It's the least I can do... you haven't had a day off and the end of the two-week trial will be coming up soon".

"Have you come to any decision on my job yet?" he asks sheepishly.

"Well now," she smirks, "that depends on the kids, they'll be the ones deciding, I already know they're safe in your hands".

"Still trying to win Eric over, he's a tough cookie".

Bonnie laughs dryly, "Trust me kiddo, I'm still trying to win him over and I've known that boy since he entered this earth".

Nathaniel chuckles, trying to carry on with the challenge of Evelyn's hair. She sits there, quietly, not making a sound as she fiddles with the soft doll toy in her hands.

He eyes Bonnie from the corner of the room, at her light pink dress, her blond, greying hair. She walks out of the living room.

"Is it finished?" Evelyn asks, her tone high.

Nathaniel observes his masterpiece, as he ties the white ribbons to the end of her ponytail.

"It's the best one I've done yet!" he perks up, pulling her into him as he tickles her.

Evelyn laughs, trying to squirm out of his grasp.

"Stop!" she giggles, "st-op!".

Nathaniel lets her go, watching as she runs off, out of the living room laughing hysterically.

He pushes himself up off of the ground, the sound of the kettle's scream pierces his ears. He follows it, travelling towards the kitchen.

"Noah!" Nathaniel beams as he enters the kitchen. Noah eyes him suspiciously, sat in his wheelchair at the kitchen table. He nods at him, acknowledging Nathaniel's presence.

"Don't mind him," Bonnie laughs, "he woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning".

Been waking on the wrong side of the bed for a while you mean, Nathaniel thinks to himself, eyeing Noah who's leering at him. Noah's creepy presence from a few days ago tickles at his memories. Nathaniel lingers, wanting to question Noah when Bonnie's out of the way.

"Here you go," she says, passing the mug over to Nathaniel.

"Thanks, Bon".

"Oh, it's quite alright and for you," she passes another, much small cup to Noah, "a plain tea".

Noah narrows his eyes at her, cautiously taking the cup.

Bonnie gives Nathaniel a knowing look, rolling her eyes at Noah, "Honestly Noah, do you have to be so untrusting".

"When you prove you're trustworthy, then we'll see," he mutters, sipping at his tea.

"Haven't you known Bonnie for years," asks Nathaniel.

"Years means nothing to old men like me," he hisses, placing his left hand on the tattered black leather bible on his lap.

"You're not even that old Noah," Bonnie sighs, as she sorts through a brown zip lock bag.

"Tell that to the chair," he bites back, clutching at his bible.

Bonnie takes out a few boxes of Noah's prescription, "Don't drink all your tea, you need to take your meds".