Chapter Eight 14th May 2019, The garden.

Nathaniel tries to control his breathing; his chest tightens more and more as he gasps for breath. Eric rushes over towards him, bending down as he looks at him with panic in his eyes.

"Are you ok?" he asks worryingly.

Nathaniel nods, inhaling deeply through his nose and exhales slowly out of his mouth. He does this multiple times until he gets his breathing under control.

"I-I'm fine," Nathaniel assures.

"Are you sure? What's happened?" he asks, looking him over.

Nathaniel just shakes his head, "It's nothing, honestly". Nathaniel leans forward, running his hand over his face. His stubble prickles at his palm.

"I didn't know you were here," Eric says in surprise; he looks towards the banister where Nathaniel was just a moment before.

"I-I err... I saw Evelyn the other day," Nathaniel blurts, feeling a little awkward as he gets to his feet. He brushes down his jeans, glancing at Eric every so often as he sorts himself out.

"I haven't seen her for a bit," Eric says, placing his hands into his pockets.

"Oh, aren't you both here together?" Nathaniel asks confused. Eric shrugs, "We had an argument some weeks ago... she hasn't spoken to me since".

"What was it over?" Nathaniel asks.

"The hotel, the... murders and well... you," he answers, itching the back of his neck.

"Me?" Nathaniel gulps. Eric gives him a short, tight smile; "Yes, you".

"I'm sorry I haven't been around for some time now," says Nathaniel.

"It's not about that" Eric says, walking closer to Nathaniel. For a brief moment, Nathaniel thought that he is going in for a hug, but Eric waves a little on his heels and turns to walk down the hallway.

"Let's get away from here... I don't want to be reminded of what's happened," says Eric, as he begins to walk down the hall. Nathaniel hesitates for a moment, before striding alongside him.

"If it isn't about me being away, what was the fight about?" Nathaniel presses.

Eric gives him a quick look and turns his attention back to the hallway as the take a sharp right and then a left down the hallway.

"It was about what happened on that night" Eric answers quietly, his tone flat.

"The night I thought I ended it?" Nathaniel guesses, swallowing hard as he knows the answer.

"End isn't the word, as you can see," Eric replies, looking down at his shoes as he continues to walk towards the left-wing of the house.

"I-I didn't think... I didn't know-".

"I know," Eric cuts him off, his tone a lot softer as he glances at Nathaniel.

"I know, I'm just upset that... well of course, you'd know wouldn't you," Eric smiles sadly at him.

"I'm sorry... I just didn't know what else I could do," Nathaniel apologises.

"It's alright, I'm sorry... I-I've just missed you a little and I guess you were right before," Eric inhales sharply, "I'm sorry for being a bit harsh".

"I deserve it, I don't blame you at all. I'm sorry," Nathaniel says, shaking his head as he sighs.

"No, you don't," Eric argues.

"I should have been here, I've missed you both so much," Nathaniel says, his voice wavering a little.

Eric slows his pace, as they near the end left wing of the house. The dim light to Eric's right flickers aggressively. Then the light beside it begins to go berserk.