Chapter 9

Aragorn walks in silence. A great emptiness fills him. He did not understand where these feelings came from. He knew the emptiness came from being parted with Nínímiel. He had never felt such a feeling before.

His thoughts are interrupted as they reach a meadow. The Fellowship run swiftly across the meadow into the woods. Once in there, they walk quietly and carefully, looking around them. Aragorn walks on his own, looking for the elleth. She said she would meet them. He could hear Gimli speaking to Frodo and Sam.

"Stay close, young hobbits. They say there's a great sorceress lives in these woods. An elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell and are never seen again!"

Aragorn rolls his eyes at this. He knew of who Gimli spoke and knew his words to be untrue.

"Well! Here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox."
"And the stealth of an oliphant!"

Nínímiel's voice is heard across the forest. Aragorn quickly locates her in the trees above them. She jumps down and lets out a whistle. Alagos comes running through the trees. Aragorn makes his way towards her but is stopped by a loaded bow.

"The dwarf breathes so loud we could have shot him in the dark!" An elf steps forward.
Gimli growls in response.

The Fellowship, now standing high up in the trees on a leaf of the Mallorn branch. It is now evening. Nínímiel had not left Aragorn's side once. Not that he would let her. He had grabbed her hand and refused to let go. Alagos was walking behind them, also refusing to leave her friend.

"Mae govannen, Legolas Thranduilion."
"Govannas van gwennen le, Haldir of Lorien."
"A, Aragorn in Dunedain istannen le ammen"
"Haldir!" Aragorn lowers his head.

"So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!"
Gimli voices his complaints.
Haldir looks at him.
"We have not had dealings with the dwarves since the dark days."
"And do you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!"
Aragorn grabs the shoulder of the dwarf.
"That was not so courteous!"

Haldir turns to Nínímiel.
"Nínímiel o Imladris. Mae govannen."
"Hannon le, Haldir!"

Haldir goes to address Frodo.
"You bring great evil with you. You can go no further!"
Nínimiel steps in.
"Boe ammen veriad lun. Merin le telim. Andelu i ven!"
"Henio, anduron boe ammen i dulu lun!"

Haldir stays quiet for a moment before he starts walking away. The two rangers follow him.
"Andelu i ven!"
"Henio, Haldir"
They plead with him and Haldir look to them. He walks up to Frodo.
"You will follow me!"

Haldir leads them through a set of paths in the woods until they are all on a hill overlooking Caras Galadhon.

"Caras Galadhon. The heart of Elvendom on earth. Realm of the Lord Celeborn and of Galadriel, Lady of Light."

The Fellowship enters the grand court of Galadriel and Celeborn. With a glow issuing forth from them, the Lord and Lady of Lothlórien descend to meet the Fellowship, hand in hand. Aragorn and Nínímiel touch their heads reverently in greeting as Alagos throws her head.

"The Enemy knows you have entered here. What hope you had in secrecy is now gone. Eight that are here yet nine there were set out from Rivendell. Tell me where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him. I can no longer see him from afar." Celeborn greets them.

Galadriel answers before anyone else can.
"Gandalf the Grey did not pass the borders of this land. He has fallen into Shadow."
"He was taken by both Shadow and Flame, for we went needlessly into the net of Moria," Legolas explains.