Chapter 5

"Strangers of distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands on the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom!"

Elrond's voice breaks the silence surrounding the different races. His words cause grim looks to appear on everyone's faces and Elil could see how the dwarfs exchanged worried looks. Elil herself was asked to join the council the night before and is currently seated on Strider's left side with her hood covering her face, knowing others view on women.

"Bring forth the Ring, Frodo!" Elrond finishes his speech as Frodo walks to the middle and places the Ring on the stone plinth.

A man with light brown hair and blue eyes speaks as Frodo walks back to his seat next to Gandalf.

"So it is true!"
The man stands up and starts walking towards the Ring as he continues to speak.
"In a dream, I saw the Eastern sky grow dark. In the West, a pale light lingered."

"Im believe i na- a annún." Elil quietly whispered to Strider, who cleared his throat to suppress a laugh as he elbowed her in the stomach.
Elrond watched the interaction with a small, knowing smile before focusing on the man in the middle.

He was now staring at the Ring and walking towards it, seemingly in a trance.
"A voice was crying, your doom is near at hand. Isildur's bane is found."
Elil watch as the man reaches out towards the Ring.
"Isildur's bane." He whispers to himself before being interrupted by Elrond, who had quickly stood up.
"BOROMIR!"

Suddenly, the sky grows dark and an incredible pain goes through Elil's body.
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul!"
Elil gasps from the pain and feels Strider grabbing her hand, squeezing it to let her know he's there.
"ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul!"

The sky clears as Gandalf stops speaking and the pain fades. She can feel the concerned looks of Strider and Elrond on her before Elrond speaks again.
"Never before has anyone uttered words of that tongue here in Imladris!"
Elrond's voice was filled with anger.
"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West. The Ring is altogether evil!"
As Gandalf sits down, the man, Boromir, starts speaking again.

"Aye, it is a gift." He stands up before continuing.
"A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this Ring? Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy. Let us use it against him!"

"You cannot wield it. None of us can!" Strider speaks up beside her, still holding her hand.
"The One Ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master!" Elil comments, showing her support to Strider.
"And what would two rangers know of this matter!?"

Boromir spits out the word ranger like it is poison to him. Elil feels Elrond and Strider grow angry at the insult that was thrown at the girl. To their, and Elil's, surprise, another stands up.
The Mirkwood princeling, Legolas Thranduilion.

"These are no mere rangers. He is Aragorn, son of Arathron and she is Nínimiel, daughter of Elrond. You owe them your allegiance and respect!"

Boromir stares at them as Elil lowers her hood and removes her cloak, revealing her face and body. Frodo is staring at her in disbelief and betrayal.