Preface

Earth. April 26, 1986. The Chernobyl power plant exploded, and tens of thousands of people died. Or so they thought. People disappeared, leaving so-called rotting corpses behind. 
Evacuees fled to other countries, hoping for hospitality from their neighbors, or at least some shelter. They got neither. This resulted in war, and more power plants exploded as an act of defiance. This later was called the Great Contamination. When the radiation reached others' hearts, the centers of their souls, they turned vicious. Bloodthirsty. The Vatican killed every one of them, hoping they would go away. The world became, nothing more than a wasteland. Buildings tarnished with ash and blood, Clouds stained with smoke and cries for mercy. But no salvation was given. The Vatican’s turned as vicious as their prey, and called on the power of death, and welcomed it. Gave it home within their bodies, and tore the world in Bloodthirsty rage. The contaminated, after healed, possessed powers, now called the Hypersouls, turned on the Vatican, the vampires, sucking every bit of life out of everything. When every member of the Vatican Mafia was exterminated, the UnCounts, the uncontaminated people, were moved to an island to waste away in their powerlessness. Hypersouls, however, was a very divided and abstract people. With the help of kinetics, the former continents were shaped, moved, and refurbished to suit the life of the Hypersouls. Divisus Terra, or divided land, they called it, housed the five kingdoms; Elementals, Flyers, Animagus, Illusionists and Shifters, and The Teles. Each kingdom had a culture unique to its powers and held a competition for the UnCounts to become one of them. After the competition for the UnCounts, an annual chase called the Queen’s or King’s Hunt is used to choose the wife or husband of the heir. A UnCount, known by the name of Charles Birch Hanlon, tricked his way into the Chase and managed to win the Queen's heart and hand. The Council, made up of the royals and two of their most trusted Emissaries and Regents, decided the fates of all, or most of the hypersouls.