Chapter 6 - In Her Head

Mavis was stressed. His eyes had dark circles under them, and he kept twisting his fingers. His hair was messy, and he was mumbling something to himself.

I stare, watching him do these things. Sighing, I move towards him, and he looks at me like a scared animal. He calms down a bit when he recognizes me and lets me approach him.

"Hey, are you alright? You seem really stressed." I ask, intertwining our hands.

His hands are cold, but I don't let go. I wait until he nods, and wraps his arms around me. He kisses my cheek and squeezes my hand.

"We better get going. We only have so much daylight."

The way he said we made butterflies swarm in my stomach. He kissed my cheek again and pulled his arms back, leaving a faint impression where they wrapped around me.

His hand was still holding onto mine, and he led me to where the Pegasuses were standing. He shouldered one of the black backpacks and picked up a second for me. I took it gratefully and waved to the others, who were sitting down.

They got up and walked to the other Pegasuses, and got on. Mavis got on Sol and held out a hand for me to grab.

I swung my leg around behind him and wrapped my arms around his stomach. Tucking my head into his shoulder room prevents the wind from scratching my eyes, I murmur into his shirt. "We can go now."

He nodded, and looked back, at Prometheus and Lillith riding Frost, a pure white pegasus, and Dolion on top of the majestic Midnight.

Mavis shouted something, and the pegasuses started galloping, making us sway on top of them. A sudden rush of wind told me we were in the air, and I released the breath I was holding.

"Do you not like heights?" Mavis shouted over the howling wind.

"Not really!" I shout back, the wind whipping my hair around, stinging wherever it hits my face.

☆|^|^|^|☆|^|^|^|☆|^|^|^|☆|^|^|^|☆|^|^|^|☆

My legs were sore when we finally landed. Mavis had guided the Pegasuses down onto the beach, and I knew they wouldn't be able to go much farther today. Sweat beaded and rolled down their sides, creating little craters in the sand.

The sun was setting, an asteroid exploding on the horizon, creating a mural of pinks, oranges, and reds.

Mavis wrapped his arm around my shoulders as I stared, awestruck at the masterpiece.

"It's beautiful," I whisper, leaning into him.

He nods and tucks a stray hair out of my face. "Just like you."

I blush, and he looks at me. . . Kind of sadly. He leans in and kisses my cheek, and then he's gone.

Searching for him, the split second he was gone, something whispered.
"Zyke's tree. His tree."

"Dying."

"She can save it though. . ."

"Trust only whom you have known."

Then they were gone. Swept away with the wind, or by the trees swaying branches, the voices were no more. They could just be mere fragments of my imagination, leaking out and playing with my common sense. But the voice had seemed familiar. . . .

"Sye!"

And everything was washed into a blanket of comforting darkness, almost familiar, a place I've known. . . .

>>>_<<<
"Zyke's tree."

It's dying.

And I need to save it.