CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT
PEOPLE PLEASER

CHAPTER EIGHTPEOPLE PLEASER

RIVER PLAYFULLY LEANS ON MY side, a groan escaping from him. My eyes roll, trying to shrug him off, though I don't necessarily mind his presence. However, the warmth in my cheeks is a bit annoying, that much I will admit. "Why'd you have to agree to it?" He asks, upset that I have put our hang out sessions "in jeopardy," as the nerd would put it.

I had forgotten to mention the details during the lunch all four of us share after homeroom while also forgetting my math textbook in my locker. After Gabe and I goofed around for forty minutes, we decided to head back to the school to do our own business: mine being grabbing my book while his required a bathroom. By the time Gabe and I explained to the front desk why we needed back in, the bell signaling the end of sixth period rang out, followed by Ellie sending a text about heading down to the office to drop off an excused absence form. A moment later, River asked me to meet up at his locker if I were still inside the school. We took our time getting both our things before heading on out, the conversation steering towards my plans after school when I spotted Mr. Hiddleston out of the corner of my eye.

"Dude, it's not gonna interfere with us all that much," I remind him for the third time. "It'll just be a couple times a week, if that." I hear River grumble, earning a small laugh from me as I tuck a strand of hair from my face.

Part of me truthfully regrets taking up Mr. Hiddleston's offer. I appreciate the help he is giving me, but at the same time, I don't know how grading mediocre freshmen essays will project my writing. Maybe Mr. Hiddleston will offer more opportunities as this continues, such as giving me pointers on my own writing, but it's not like I wasn't expecting that already, given how I'm in one of his classes. Perhaps I'm being too selfish about it, though I can't find the ability to care about that. At least he offered to fix my situation, and that's something I can appreciate.

Ellie is outside, typing away on her phone. She doesn't hear us until River lets out a yell, her phone fumbling to stay in her hand. Her dark eyes narrow, shoving the device in her pocket after finishing whatever she was doing. "That wasn't necessary, asshole."

The brunette boy shrugs, hands going to the straps of his backpack. "Yeah, well..." he trails off, clearly not having any rebuttal.

Not too long after, Gabe pushes the school doors wide open, as if making a grand entrance, or exit rather, is all he knows. "Hola, chio and chicas," he says.