CHAPTER XIX

It was Odessa's first time on a motorbike, and she couldn't say it was her least favourite thing in the world. It was loud, slightly uncomfortable, and utterly terrifying, but once she got past that she began to enjoy speeding down narrow country roads as they got further and further out of London. As the ride seemed to go on forever, Odessa severely doubted that Sirius would be getting her home by ten. Especially when she spotted the sea. Sirius eventually pulled up by the side of a busy road in front of a beach.

"We are... at the beach." Odessa said, tugging at the many knots in her hair that had been formed by the helmet and the wind.

"We are," Sirius grinned.

"I've never been to the beach."

"Neither," Sirius still grinned. "Looks like we're just in time for the sunset though!"

The pebbly beach was mostly empty, save from a few people enjoying the warm summer evening, as most holidaymakers had left the seaside for the day as the tide rose. They found a spot midway down the beach and Sirius laid out a plaid blanket for them to sit on.

"I'm impressed with the planning," Odessa admitted.

"I aim to please."

"Question I've been dying to ask: When on earth did you get a motorbike?" Odessa finally asked.

"Well, it's not so much that I got a motorbike, but more that I borrowed one," Sirius admitted.

"You stole a motorbike?! And now I'm an assistant to the crime!"

"Borrowed!" Sirius insisted. "It belongs to one of James' neighbours. He went on holiday, asked James' parents to keep an eye on the house, so I figured it wouldn't hurt if I borrowed it for the day."

"It suits you, and it's fun. You should get your own."

"I'm saving up, don't you worry," said Sirius, gazing out at the pink tinted horizon. "Now, wasn't there something you wanted to talk to me about?"

"You first," said Odessa, remembering what James had written in his letter.

"Me? I'm fine," Sirius lied. "I'm out of that house, having a great summer with my best mate, and now I'm watching the sunset on a beach with a pretty girl. Couldn't get better than this."

Odessa turned so that she was facing Sirius "You should talk to someone about what happened that night," she said sincerely. "I can't imagine you can be fine after practically being disowned."

"Has James been talking to you or something?" Sirius asked bitterly, furrowing his brow and turning away.

"He just said he was worried about you in his letter, and I am too."

"Well it's nice to hear that you two have been discussing my own feelings but I know my thoughts better than either of you and I know I'm fine."

Odessa tutted. "It was two letters."

"Whatever."

Odessa sighed. "Why are things so complicated?" She thought out loud.

"Serious question?"

"Yes," she said. "Look at us. We have magic, we have a borrowed motorbike, we're sitting on a beach, alone, sixty miles from home, and we're stressing about what? Marriage alliances? Our bigoted families? Why?

"Is this not proof that we can just leave. We can just up and leave whenever we wanted, but we don't. And we won't. Why won't we?"

"I would," Sirius said truthfully. "Everyday since I can remember I've fantasised about leaving. Going to Costa Rica or some shit and living in a tent on the beach as soon as I turn seventeen."