CHAPTER VI

CHAPTER VI | It's Not Biased, It's Just Facts

Very soon October came, bringing with it a morning frost and a cold chill that swept its way throughout the castle. Odessa had taken to mocking her friends who were less capable of handling the cold than she was. It was the morning of the first quidditch match of the season and Odessa was just wiping a tear of laughter from her eye after Benjy Fenwick arrived to breakfast bundled up in three jumpers and an enormous puffer jacket, when Thorfinn Rowle took the empty seat beside her. The weight of his beafy body dropping on the bench made everyone else jump up slightly, like they were on an unevenly weighted seesaw.

"Oh," said Odessa, instantly sobering up and giving Rowle her award winning smile. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"You're at the wrong table you kn-" Benjy stopped his sarcastic comment when Rowle gave him a threatening glare. Benjy was, after all, a rather scrawny boy and someone like Rowle could probably kill him with a high five.

Rowle turned back to Odessa and flexed his biceps under his tight thermal skivvy. "Heard you were saying some nice things about Big John and Buck."

"I don't know who Big John and Buck are." Odessa said honestly.

Rowle flexed his biceps again and Odessa understood. Somewhere down the table, one of the Prewett twins snorted with laughter.

"Oh."

"Maybe you could get to know them later?" Odessa thought that Rowle might have been trying to sound seductive but she couldn't be sure. "If you say yes, I might go easy on you during the match later."

"Very tempting," Odessa lied, giving the enormous boy a sad smile, "but I'm going to have to say no."

A simultaneously angry, humiliated and upset expression made its way onto Rowle's meaty face. He looked like a bulldog who had his food snatched from under his nose.

"I'll give you another chance to answer."

"She said no you great big thundering elephant." Pandora blurted. "Now bugger off."

Rowle stood up so quickly it looked like he was going to flip the table. His hand hovered over his jeans pocket, clearly debating taking his wand out and hexing Pandora, but decided against it and let his arm fall back against his side.

Chills ran down Odessa's spine when Rowle looked down at her and said, "You'll regret that."

He stormed off back to the Slytherin table.

"Maybe I should have said yes and then stood him up." Odessa said, thinking what a wonderful thing hindsight was.

"He'd be a lot more angry if you did that." Said Xeno.

"Yeah but at least he wouldn't be able to take his anger out by hitting bludgers at me." Odessa sighed. "Why are boys so entitled and prideful? I didn't even let him down rudely."