CHAPTER I

CHAPTER I | Odessa Orlov

The Orlov family name was one which struck fear into the heart of many a Russian; muggle and wizard folk alike. To any other, it was just a name which, after the initial pique of interest at it's foreign sound, would blend into the background like the rest. Unless, of course, you yourself came from one of the sacred pure blood families. Russian or not, you would come to fiercely respect the Orlov dynasty.

However, this seemingly flawless family, not unlike all others, has its secrets. One in particular that could destroy not only the reputation of the Orlovs, but one that could end the family's succession.

 One in particular that could destroy not only the reputation of the Orlovs, but one that could end the family's succession

Odessa Orlova was the first of her lineage to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The house of Ravenclaw came of no surprise to anyone familiar with the hard-headed, opinionated girl, who would never admit being in the wrong, simply because she never had any need to. The house with an eagle in its emblem was certainly a perfect fit for the girl.

'That girl will make a fine heir,' was the general consensus about Odessa in the most exclusive wizarding social circles. There was, of course, the regret that there had been no son before the dreadful accident that had befallen the devastatingly gorgeous Alessandra Orlova. No matter - Odessa had shown the will and determination to continue the Orlov succession and had determined the respect of everyone she met. There was no doubt that the young girl could live up to her family name.

The story of Alessandra Orlova, wife of Vladimir and mother to Odessa, is as mysterious as she was beautiful. Vladimir and Alessandra's love story seemed to be one of a classic 'love at first sight'. Alessandra was the last remaining member of the Italian pure blood Lucchesi family. Extremely satisfied with the match, the Orlov family organised an extravagant wedding and the two were married within six months of announcing their relationship. Their daughter, Odessa, was born the following year. Three years later, tragedy befell the young family when a horrific car crash took the life of the wife and mother.

Rumours would circulate about the Orlov tragedy for years to come. Some claimed that the bankrupt Anastasia Orlova, mother to Vladimir, had organised the death so that her son could marry a woman with a large dowry.

Others told a tale of how Alessandra had faked her own death in order to escape the controlling family that she had been pressured to marry into. Odessa had once overheard a third year telling other students about how Alessandra now lived on the beach in Costa Rica with the true love of her life.

Many found Alessandra herself to be an ambiguous individual and could have sworn that the Lucchesi blood line had died its own natural death, with no young successor by the name of Alessandra remaining.

Odessa herself took to ignoring the tall tales told by witches and wizards with such boring lives that they had to create drama in the lives of others. The young witch had other issues to focus on; such as her studies, quidditch, and the issue of her arranged marriage.

Following the death of his wife, Vladimir grew into a much more hardened man. Immersing himself in his work, the father allowed his mother to play a much larger role in the raising of his young daughter. Vlad still loved his daughter immensely, but he couldn't ignore the wrenching of his gut or the pain in his chest every time he looked at Odessa and saw his late wife staring back at him.

Anastasia took a very controlling approach to parenting and following what she called 'negotiations' with the Noble House of Black, a nine year old Odessa and her father moved to England. Walburga Black and Anastasia had arranged the wedding of Odessa Anastasia Orlov and Sirius Orion Black III.

The terms of the arrangement were simple. Odessa would live in England and attend Hogwarts with the eldest Black son in order for the two to get to know each other. The two would marry at 18 and neither would change their name. The first born boy would take the name of the House of Black and the second boy would take the name of the Orlov dynasty. The deal had been brokered to preserve the name of both families while keeping blood pure. Although neither of which were concerns for the future bride and groom.

Sirius and Odessa met just a handful of times before they started Hogwarts and shared a knack for mischief and rebelling against their families. The summer before starting school the two children made their own deal: to stay friends, but as they got older they would be free to like other people. It was also a deal that they planned to carry through into their marriage and made them optimistic that it might not be all bad.

This optimism was short lived when Odessa watched with wide eyes as Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor. She knew instantly that Walburga and Orion would be furious.

Sure enough, Odessa received a letter from her grandmother in her second week, assuring her that her future was still secured. The Blacks had another son, Regulus, who Odessa was to marry instead. The situation had somehow become even worse.